Laptop restarts and it's back to it's factory settings/wiped?

buel 21:57 28 Mar 2014

Hi, Bit of an odd one- My friend's W7 laptop restarted and now it appears to have gone back to factory settings and all the data wiped? Is this highly unusual? Could it be a virus? Has everything actually been wiped?

Thank you in advance.

buel 08:21 29 Mar 2014

Hello, please can anyone offer any help?

buel 08:53 29 Mar 2014

No option of system restore and HD is showing that it is almost empty (it wasn't before the restart)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:26 29 Mar 2014

Try Recuva to see if it will find the lost files on the drive

buel 09:36 29 Mar 2014

Thanks, I'll tell him. Any idea why this would have happened though?

lotvic 12:03 29 Mar 2014

Hard to say without knowing the make and model. Some laptops can be reset by holding down a key (or keys) on keyboard and while press power on button, that could possibly mean that if a key was 'stuck' it would go to the reset screen on startup.. though I would have thought it would be a menu brought up to choose from and not reset automatically. I could be wrong about that.

Woolwell 12:43 29 Mar 2014

I suspect that your friend hasn't given you the full story. Why did it restart and how? I wonder if he had a menu after a crash and hit the wrong key?

alanrwood 12:53 29 Mar 2014

How right you are Woolwell. These things don't "just happen". Remember the first law of Computers is GIGO (Garbage in - Garbage out).

Woolwell 14:27 29 Mar 2014

The battery shouldn't wipe data.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:41 29 Mar 2014

It doesn't just happen

however its not that hard

F8 at pwer up and think you are doing a system restore and it turns out to be a factory restore

john bunyan 15:18 29 Mar 2014

Have you looked at he hidden recovery partition? I heard of a case where the data somehow ended up there. You could try Easus Partition Recovery tool, which worked for me with a young relative's laptop.

Partition Recovery Wizard

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S9 review

Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 and 32 review – hands-on

When is the next Apple event?

Qu’est-ce qu’Amazon Prime ?