Laptop only turns on with select, high speed RAM?

biezdar 15:38 04 Jul 2018

Hi everyone,

I have a weird problem. My old faithful laptop (Asus U36S) overnight stopped turning on - as in it turns on but the screen stays black. Easy diagnose was that the RAM went bad (2x4gb Corsair 1333mhz), a diagnose confirmed by a quick test with borrowed memory from another laptop (Samsung 1x8gb 1600mhz) - the laptop turned on no problem.

So I bought new RAM (2x4gb Samsung 1333mhz). How surprised was I that with the new RAM the laptop also refuses to turn on. And what is weirder both the old RAM and the new RAM work on other laptops.

So what is going on? Why did my laptop suddenly get selective with RAM? Technically this CPU (i5-2430M) doesn't even support 1600mhz but for some reasons those are the only ones that work.

Does anyone have a clue? I would appreciate any help. Thanks, Jay

Archie44 22:39 04 Jul 2018

what operating system are you using

biezdar 15:01 05 Jul 2018

I am using Windows 10.

I read today that it might be that the Samsung 1600mhz laptop memories are low voltage (DDR3L). Doesn't explain why the crucial ones worked for 2 years though.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:13 05 Jul 2018

HAs the memory settings changed in BIOS due to a flat CMOS battery if it's an old machine.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Microsoft Surface Book 2 15in review

How to create explosive dance music graphics

When is the best time to buy an iPhone?

Quel antivirus gratuit choisir pour un PC ?