Laptop Modem Failure

SABRE 21:28 03 Feb 2004

I have a Dell laptop and the internal dial up modem appears to have failed. On connection it is stating that there is 'no dial tone'. I have tried as many things as I can i.e. proved the connection cord OK, re-loaded the drivers, unplugged and re-plugged in the modem to no avail.
I did start to speak to Dell Support, I believe in Dehli or somewhere, but after an hour and a quarter of do this and do that I had to close down to attend a meeting.
Do people agree that it is probably the modem that's at fault, and where can I get a replacement? I have forgotten the manufacturer, but are they a standard internal modem? It is a little flat thing about the size of one of those listermint dispensers of those tabs for halitosis.

Diodorus Siculus 22:06 03 Feb 2004

That's the best description of a modem I have heard of!

You can buy a PCMCIA modem for about £40 or so - it goes into the side of your laptop and will do the trick for you.

SABRE 22:21 03 Feb 2004

Thanks a lot Diodorus Siculus. Why did they fit an internal one and not a PCMCIA (does that stand for Pulse Code Modulated Central Intelligence Agency?)in the first place?

In fact, I think we've got another laptop with one of those in so I'll swap it over to prove the fault!!

VoG II 22:24 03 Feb 2004

Personal Computer Memory Card International Association but yours is better, SABRE!

Diodorus Siculus 22:24 03 Feb 2004

No - it does not stand for Pulse Code Modulated Central Intelligence Agency ;-}

But internal ones are standard these days! Try a PCMCIA modem and you will know where the problem lies.

Diodorus Siculus 22:27 03 Feb 2004

PS it means:

People Can't Memorise Computer Industry Acronyms

SABRE 22:44 03 Feb 2004

Diodorus Siculus, that beats mine hands down and I will not compete. I'll make a tactical withdrawal. Thanks for your assistance and hello again VoG!!

Diodorus Siculus 22:46 03 Feb 2004

SABRE - except that mine is not original... been around years and years I fear!

SABRE 11:45 07 Feb 2004

Found out that it is an Actiontec MD560 ORD Pramac V92 MDC Modem. Any ideas where I can get one?

AubreyS 12:32 07 Feb 2004

PCMCIA = Personal Computer Memory Card International Association

No, I didn't know that. I looked it up on the net!

AubreyS 12:33 07 Feb 2004

Hell VoG...

You beat me to it.... as usual!! ;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?