Laptop Freezing Problem

woodm01 08:08 09 Sep 2008

I have a Packard Bell igo6000 series laptop. I have done a full system restore using the recovery disks provided, which restored the system to Windows XP (with no service packs).

I then attempted to install SP2 but about half way through the installation the laptop freezes altogether and I have to switch the machine off and on.

I then installed SP2 again, this time when installing keeping the mouse pointer moving all the way through, which worked.

I then attempted to install SP3 without moving the mouse and the laptop frooze up again.

Any ideas ?

xania 08:35 09 Sep 2008

You don't say wether this is a ocntinuation of a problem which made you decide to undertake this recovery so I will assume not. I would suspect that the recovery itself did not go well for some reason - a file may not have copied correcty or could even be corrupt. I would suggest re-running the recovery procedure to see what happens. If the same thing occurs, I would suspect a faulty recovery partition and get in touch with Packard Bell about a replacement.

Technotiger 08:36 09 Sep 2008

I am not implying that I may have a solution, but it might help us if you could say why the full restore was necessary in the first place.

woodm01 09:01 09 Sep 2008

I attempted to install SP2 before the restore, this caused the computer to freeze and Windows then refused to boot up. This is when I did a complete restore.

Technotiger 09:09 09 Sep 2008

Have you tried SP3 again with the mouse on-the-move, as per SP2?

Is your SP3 on disc or from a download?

If from a download perhaps you should remove SP3 and re-download it, save it to disc and then try the install again.

woodm01 09:23 09 Sep 2008

Looks like I need to do this to get it through. Do you think it could be something to do with the sleep feature in Windows?

Technotiger 09:51 09 Sep 2008

Possibly, try it with sleep feature turned off.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S9 review

Artist Helen Friel on designing paper models for everyone to make

What to expect at Apple's 27 March education event

Idées cadeaux pour geeks et tech addicts