Laptop freezes whilst watching catch up TV

ponytail 08:48 13 Apr 2019

My wife watches some catch up on her laptop but lately it keeps freezing and all she can do is turn it off and then back on again.I had the laptop checked out by the PC shop I always use and when I collected it he said as far as he was concerned the laptop was fine as he had the TV programs my wife watched running on it for several hours and it never froze once.He suggested it could be a internet problem and a friend of my wife said the same thing last night.I tried to watch the same program on my laptop and about halfway through it froze and I got a message saying I did not have enough bandwidth to watch at this time.I then started to watch again and this time it played right through.My Broadband provider is Plusnet.Any advice appreciated.Thanks

ponytail 09:30 13 Apr 2019

I have just done a Broadband speed check at www.Broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk and the first four readings were done when connected by a ethernet cable. Download 35.30 Mb/s,35.67 Mb/s, 36.00 Mb/s and 36.33 Mb/s Upload 9.77 Mb/s, 9.28 Mb/s, 9.58 Mb/s and 9.24 Mb/s These four readings were taken wirelessly Download 33.03 Mb/s,29.17 Mb/s,30.00 Mb/s and 33.81 Mb/s Upload 9.19 Mb/s,9.20 Mb/s,9.23 Mb/s and 9.11 Mb/s When I was doing the wireless readings it froze after the first two readings and I had to reboot the laptop So the speed seems very good.

john bunyan 09:35 13 Apr 2019

What is your download speed via wi fi where you use the laptop ? I use speedtest.net

speedtest

What is your Plusnet speed promise?

x13 09:41 13 Apr 2019

When you mean that the laptop 'froze' I'm wondering that it just lost the wireless connection rather than it actually froze. Next time check the connection status in the notification area. If the wi-fi icon shows an exclamation mark right click it and select troubleshooting. That should reset the adapter. If this continues to happen then I suggest you go to the manufacturer's site to check if there is a driver update for the Wlan card.

If the laptop actually freezes (can't move mouse etc.) then check for driver updates now.

ponytail 10:03 13 Apr 2019

Hi x13 No nothing works at all so have to turn it off with the power button.How do I check for driver updates.My wife is using the laptop now so will look when she finishes.Thanks by the way.

ponytail 10:03 13 Apr 2019

Hi x13 No nothing works at all so have to turn it off with the power button.How do I check for driver updates.My wife is using the laptop now so will look when she finishes.Thanks by the way.

Old Deuteronomy 11:10 13 Apr 2019

Ponytail, is your wife using the laptop directly resting on her lap by any chance?

x13 12:49 13 Apr 2019

That's a good point Old Deuteronomy. Never thought about overheating. Worked ok on the bench in the shop so depends how the laptop is used.

As for updating drivers then do a search for your laptop's maker and add 'help and support' I use HPs mainly and a google search bring this . You'll have to make a note of the name and model number. Sometimes the site will offer to find them automatically. It should then bring up a list of drivers. To check the driver version you have installed open Device manager and expand Network adapters, right click the Wireless Lan Network adapter. Select properties then under the Driver tab it should show driver date and version. Compare that to what's offered on your laptop's manufacturer's site.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:17 13 Apr 2019

I did not have enough bandwidth to watch at this time.

Are you using another PC phone tablet etc. at the sametime?

I would suggest changing channel in your router if neighbours are using the same channel it could affect your broadband wireless signal.

Kevin Alders 06:18 16 Apr 2019

Just make sure your not using an adjacent Wi-Fi channel to your neighbour.

Adjacent and Co-Channel Interference

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Fold review: Hands-on

How to create a robot painting in Photoshop

iMac 21.5in (2019) review

Les bons plans TV (2019)