Laptop Drivers Help Needed x

Clive of India 16:45 08 Jan 2017

Hi

Can anyone out there help me please, it’s probably an elementary question for some of you but alas not for me. I’ve got a Virgin Super Hub to which my desktop computer is connected via an Ethernet cable, my printer is also connected to the hub via Ethernet and likewise for my laptop ie they are all hardwired to the hub.

The printer works with my desktop computer but I can’t get it to print when using the laptop, I’ve been told the reason it won't print when using the laptop is because the laptop needs drivers.

The laptop is using Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2016 32 bit together with Windows 7 Profession 64 bit.

I’ve been onto the HP website ie support.hp.com from there onto "Get drivers and software", entered the model number 6735s, it then comes up with 3 options

HP Compaq 6735s Base Model Notebook PC HP Compaq 6735s Notebook PC HP Compaq 6735s Notebook PC (ENERGY STAR)

I can’t tell which of the above three I’ve got, in fact it may not make any difference as far as printer drives are concerned.

Anyway, I’ve gone along with assuming I’ve got the base one, the next thing is to select the driver language in my case English. Then it asks for the operating system in my case Windows 7 Profession 64 bit from there I’m presented with drop down menu of various drivers, this is where I get confused, I’ve clicked on, Driver – Network (3), this in turn presents a further 3 options as I’ve listed below:

Marvell Yukon Gigabit Ethernet Controller Driver (International)

Broadcom Wireless LAN Driver for Microsoft Windows 7 (American, International)

Software Support for HP Integrated Module with Bluetooth Wireless Technology for Microsoft Windows 7.

I’m guessing I need the first option Marvell Yukon ………….

Can someone tell me if my guess is correct, also after downloading it what steps do I need to take in order to get the laptop to communicate with the printer.

Thanks to anyone who can point me in the right direction.

Clive

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:22 08 Jan 2017

If the laptop connects to the Internet you don't need Ethernet drivers, you need to look for a printer driver.

what printer do you have? you need win 7 pro 64 bit drivers for your make of printer.

Govan1x 18:15 08 Jan 2017

If you still have your printer CD just use that.

Clive of India 18:41 08 Jan 2017

Hello Fruit Bat

Many thanks for your quick reply, the laptop connects to the internet with no problems at all. The printer is a Epson Workforce WP-4545, it works with my desktop computer which has been upgraded from Windows 7 Profession 64 bit to Windows 10 Profession 64 bit. So are you saying I need a Windows 7 Profession 64 bit driver for the printer, in other words I should be looking on the Epson website for drivers and not the HP website, which is what I have been doing! Sorry if I seem a bit dim but I'm only into using computers not down loading bits of software and drivers onto them, but I would like to have a go for myself with your help.

Thanks again Clive

Secret-Squirrel 19:09 08 Jan 2017

Clive, you first need to connect your printer to your Virgin router's WiFi. The instruction manual will help with this although you'll probably find it's setup via the printer's control panel.

When that's done, download and install the Epson printer drivers on your laptop and choose "wireless connection" when prompted.

Clive of India 19:15 08 Jan 2017

Hi Govan1x

Yes I do have the printer CD, I’ve put it in the drive and been presented with two options: Run InstallNavi.exe or Open folder to view files, the files are as follows: Cdres, Model, Admin, EventManager, faxUtility, Manual, Network, Printer, Scanner, WEB, Autorun, Gdiplus.dll, InstallNavi Which do I go for?

Thanks

Clive of India 19:24 08 Jan 2017

Hi Secret squirrel

I did use to have the laptop connected wireless but it tended to loose connection my son set it up for me and I had to keep asking him to set it up again, so in the end I got so fed up with it, I have now hardwired it to the hub and I am getting an internet connection with no problems so I will stay with having it hardwired for now, but thanks for the suggestion.

Clive

Secret-Squirrel 08:33 09 Jan 2017

........... and been presented with two options: Run InstallNavi.exe....

That's the one.

....... so I will stay with having it hardwired for now,......

OK then. When the printer setup asks for the type of connection you want to use, choose "network". Or, if your laptop is close to the printer you could choose a USB connection then connect the two via a USB cable when prompted.

Whether reinstalling your printer drivers solves your problem I can't say because you haven't specifically said what your problem is.

compumac 08:44 09 Jan 2017

I can’t get it to print when using the laptop

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:43 09 Jan 2017
  1. can the laptop see the printer?

2. have you tried adding the printer from the control panel in windows?

Clive of India 19:08 09 Jan 2017

Hi Fellas

What a muddle, I went onto the Epson Website and downloaded Epson 513232eu.msi and could not get the printer to work. Then I downloaded Universal Printer Driver 2.62 and it still didn’t work, in the end I dug out the old disk which came with the Espson 4545 printer and I ticked every darn box I could see on installation options and bingo the laptop communicates with the printer, god knows if it’s an up to date driver but at least it works. I suppose to check if the driver I’ve installed from the disk is an up to date one will be another headache, but if anyone out there wants to clue me up on it I’ll have a go, and thanks for telling me I needed to look on the printer website for the drives, I assume I was totally wrong in trying to find the drivers on the HP laptop website, me and computers, I'm like water is to electricity.

Thanks again fellas for your help it’s much appreciate

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Moto G6 Play Review: First Look

The best smart speaker: Apple HomePod vs Google Home vs Amazon Echo

Augmentation du tabac : les meilleures applications pour arrĂȘter de fumer