laptop display fault

rocket111 20:32 31 Aug 2008

I have a laptop on which it would seem the display has gone faulty and i need to start the machine to retrieve files but on boot it sees the error with the screen and i have tried connecting an external monitor but it does not see it and boot and i was wondering if anyone could help me over come this?

Regards

Ian

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:54 31 Aug 2008

i have tried connecting an external monitor but it does not see it and boot and i was wondering if anyone could help me over come this?

there will be a key combination to press to activate the external monitor Fn - F7 is the usual one look for a symbol of a screen on one of the keys.

rocket111 21:13 31 Aug 2008

Hi Fruit bat

I have tried that but nothing seems to help, should this work even if i have allowed the machine to try and start with no screen working. I have plugged the external monitor into the laptop and then rebooted but it still appears to look for its own display in the boot sequence and then does no more. I have check that the error is display or video card as the laptop gives out one long beep and two short beeps on boot?

many thanks

ian

woodchip 21:15 31 Aug 2008

its F4 on my HP laptop

MAT ALAN 21:22 31 Aug 2008

error message suggests VGA device is loose or busted

standalone card or onboard graphics?

woodchip 21:24 31 Aug 2008

Laptop is built in graphics

rocket111 21:30 31 Aug 2008

The laptop is an HP and yes the key is F4 too but i know from previous use i would have to click this once or twice depending on wether i wanted laptop monitor and external working or just external.

In my ignorance from a few of your suggestions does this mean i have to have it repaired beofre i can access my files. Can the hard drive be removed and connected to my desk top?

Regards

Ian

woodchip 21:36 31 Aug 2008

2.5" USB caddy click here to fit the drive in so you can get your files on another computer

rocket111 21:48 31 Aug 2008

Many thanks woodchip, i will obtain a caddy drive and try this and will report back after having done this!

All help and suggestions appreciated.

Regards

Ian

rocket111 18:36 02 Sep 2008

Woodchip

I have purchased the caddy but the interface appears to be wrong, should i have asked for an AT interface as the drive is a Seagate Serial AT disc drive?

Many thanks

Ian

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:44 02 Sep 2008

Yes you need a caddy that will take a 2.5" SATA drive

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?