Laptop Dead - Hard Drive Recoverable?

  goonerpaul 12:59 03 May 2005

I have a Samsung X10 notebook, which I inadvertently spilt liquid over last week.

Since then, it wont power up, I have done everything, like hairdryer, leaving it for 4 days etc...but its not responding.

Does anyone know of any reputable and cheap data recovery firms that I can send the HD too before I send the laptop back to Samsung to see if they can revive it? (I'm guessing if they do, I'll potentially lose any data on the Hard Drive.

  Diodorus Siculus 13:34 03 May 2005

You can take the disk out and put it into a special caddy to convert from 2 and a half inch to 3 and half.

Maplin (amongst many others) store them. Then put it as slave into another desktop if you can.

  wee eddie 14:20 03 May 2005

A quick warning to others first.

If liquid is spilled.

1. Immediately - Turn everything off and unplug the item.

2. Remove as much liquid as possible - turn it upside down - use a sponge - whatever!

3. Dry it out thoroughly

4. Wait until "No Dampness" remains.

If you are quick enough with "Step 1" you may avoid a short circuit.

In answer to your question, a caddy as described above will do the business and give you a reserve drive for backups.

You could visit your local "Wiz" to slave the drive to your new machine and copy the contents across.

  pauln1 14:32 03 May 2005

I tried all that, but sadly, the PC is not responding. I think its because I tried to power up to quickly after the spillage. Can you tell me what a "caddy" is and ;
How to use it (usb on another PC?)
Where to get one?

Whats a "wiz"?!

  DieSse 15:06 03 May 2005

Maplin - here click here

This is an external box, so you can plug the drive into any system with a usb port - including a new laptop if and when you get one. You can also put it onto a friends system if you need to get at stuff urgently.

So - useful for now, and when you get a new system

Don't forget you may be able to claim on your insurance.

  DieSse 15:22 03 May 2005

Sorry - I inadvertently gave you a link for standard drives, not laptop drives -

look here click here

or here click here=

or do a Google for more

  Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:55 03 May 2005

click here this cable will allow you to fit your laptop HDD to a desktop PC so you can copy the files.

Bought a simular one myself for £4 at a Comp fair most PC shops will stock but maybe at a higher price, cheaper thna caddy.

  wee eddie 17:37 03 May 2005

"Wiz" - Wizard or Techie - Frequently found in small computer shops - Frequently speak in a foreign language similar to "bullshit".

However, when real communication is established, can be a godsend!

  TomJerry 17:58 03 May 2005

£9.99 click here

£12.24 click here

£13 click here

£16.95 click here

professional data recovery will cost you £1000 or over

  DieSse 22:15 03 May 2005

The external box is the ideal way to go.

You don't need to open up any system to read your drive.

When you get another system :--

firstly you can extract all you need from it.

secondly you cam use it as an ideal external backup device, and/or file transfer device.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

How Sketch and InVision have revolutionised our design workflow

The best tech gifts for Christmas 2017

Les meilleurs jeux de société (2017)