Laptop choice!

phil2816 22:08 24 Aug 2006

Hey..wanting to get my (first) laptop, and I was wondering what people think in general is a good buy..it will be used for various music programs, linking to keyboard..what are good makes and models?my budget is about £1,100. Thanks!

wee eddie 22:32 24 Aug 2006

you may need an external Sound Card

phil2816 11:11 25 Aug 2006

like the sound blaster audigy 2? Whatabout actual laptops?

skeletal 14:40 25 Aug 2006

This is like asking “What is the best car to buy”. You will get a lot of opinions!

We have, in the recent past, bought two Dell Inspirons for about £700 each and are pleased with them.

If you go the Dell route, monitor their web site and wait for a special offer that best suits you. We both wanted more RAM (this week get an extra 512MB FREE!!), rather than a bigger hard disc (this week get 120MB for the same price as 60MB!!) etc etc.

Also be careful of which options you chose. They always set the 5 year warranty as a choice, un-ticking that will drop the price about £100. Dell have come in for a lot of stick on that one.

But, unless you are in a rush, wait a few weeks until the new Pentium core duo stuff starts coming through; these should lead to better computers overall.

Skeletal

Mavisk 16:55 25 Aug 2006

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Illustrator Charles Williams on how to create magazines and book covers

iMac Pro review

Les meilleures prises CPL (2018)