laptop battery problem, laptop shut down suddenly

ljljpt 17:26 02 Oct 2016

Hello ... I have had a Toshiba C850-A965 laptop for 4 years and it's been working perfectly untill one day recently, a message poped up saying that there's something wrong with the battery and should be replaced, but it was still the same, works for an hour and a half approximately But, I went ahead and bought a new battery, the message disappeared and i fully charged and then started the laptop it worked for about 15 mins and then it shut down ( like u took the plug off from a desktop computer) without any warning when i turned it back on, it was still fully charged !!! and the shutting down happend again and again :( the old battery is still working fine so that must mean that there's nth wrong with my laptop right? and the battery is bad? please give me your opinions thank you for your precious time

amonra 18:10 02 Oct 2016

Could still be a faulty battery. It can read the correct voltage off load, but as soon as you put a load on it, it takes a dive. The battery status symbol is just that, a symbol. The only foolproof method of proving it is to replace it with a known good battery. Do you have any good friends with a similar laptop ?

Burn-it 19:16 02 Oct 2016

Was the new battery actually new or reconditioned. There is a charging circuit in batteries and that is often the first to fail. Also there are several cells and if one fails it shows the correct voltage off load, but the internal resistance either drops to zero and shorts or goes very high and refuses to pass any current - as Amonra says.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Oppo A9 2020 Review

Procreate 5 launches with the world’s biggest brush library – hands-on and specs for the 2019 update

Best Apple tech gifts for Christmas 2019

Noël (2019) : idées cadeaux & guide d'achat !