Laptop battery plugged in but not charging

Carafaraday 13:19 01 Feb 2018

Only a few days after the guarantee has expired and the battery seems to have given up. Have tried to get Curry's to investigate for free but no luck. They did however test the charger and declare it to be fine.
I have had a look at this forum and see that I am not alone in this problem. I've tried HP's diagnostic tool which says both battery and ac adapter are fine. I have also deleted Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery and the other item listed under battery in device manager. After reboot these have reinstalled and I have checked that they are both up to date. I suspect that I will have to remove the battery but am very reluctant to do so until I have tried every other possibility as am not confident about my ability to do so, and then put it back again. Any help would be very welcome.

Govan1x 14:32 01 Feb 2018

If the battery is easy to remove. Remove it and the charger. Hold down the start button for 50 seconds then reinstall the charger and battery and see if that works.

Once again if battery is easy to remove. Remove it and see if the laptop will start ok With just the charger installed.

Newuser939 14:43 01 Feb 2018

I have an HP laptop which does the same thing. I find that disconnecting it from the mains and letting it run on its battery for a few moments does the trick.

alanrwood 15:09 01 Feb 2018

The battery will stop charging when it reaches 100%. Check that is not the situation.

Carafaraday 15:16 01 Feb 2018

Battery is at 39% and falling.

Carafaraday 15:17 01 Feb 2018

Newuser939 - thank you for your reply. I tried that but sadly without success.

alanrwood 19:12 01 Feb 2018

OK If you can fully charge the battery first then remove it from the laptop. Leave it for 24-48 hours and then refit it. Use the computer on mains only in the interim. Then refit the battery and look at the state of charge. If it has dropped substantially then it is a battery problem self discharging. If it maintains charge then something in your computer is draining the charge from the battery so maybe a computer fault. In any case if it is an inherent fault then the law gives you 6 years in England and 5 years in Scotland but you will need to get a report to present to Currys first.

Carafaraday 19:20 01 Feb 2018

Thank you Alanrwood. Sadly I cannot fully charge the battery. That is the problem. I am unable to charge it at all.

qwbos 18:30 02 Feb 2018

alanrwood

In any case if it is an inherent fault then the law gives you 6 years in England and 5 years in Scotland

Could you clarify/be more specific please?

qwbos 18:38 02 Feb 2018

I had two batteries for my laptop but forgot all about the spare. When I dug it out 18 months later, the laptop couldn't see it, so I spent a couple of days trying all the fixes, before giving up, and putting it back in the bag. About 4 months later, I tried it again, and it worked perfectly, and continued to do so until my laptop died.

I'm sorry I can't offer anything concrete to help, but batteries can behave strangely at times.

alanrwood 19:13 02 Feb 2018

qwbos

In England the law gives you 6 years against an inherent fault ie one that existed when the device was purchased. It does not cover fair wear and tear/misuse etc. For the first 6 months the onus is on the supplier to prove it is not an inherent fault. After that it is your responsibility to provide a report from a qualified source showing that the fault was inherent. The supplier has the right to examine the goods and the report. If the fault is agreed to be inherent then the supplier must refund proportionately to whatever use the product has had or replace the item with possibly a refurbished item.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Microsoft Surface Book 2 15in review

Illustrator Amy Grimes on how setting up her own eco-brand led to success with clients too

MacBook Pro keyboard issues and other problems

Test : l’enceinte connectée HomePod d’Apple