Hot Topics

Laptop battery is about to die

Dunk 17:51 10 Nov 2019
Answered

I have an HP laptop, that I use at home only, and when I install a new battery is it best to leave it plugged in all the time, or 'use' the battery by running it unplugged each day, and re-charging when necessary?

As it rarely leaves my desk, I'm just interested to know what is best for the battery life.

x13 18:45 10 Nov 2019

I also use my laptop as a desktop replacement and run on mains with battery at 100%. Will discharge to about 20% once a while but not very often. During bad weather it's a handy UPS! However you use it it will eventually wear out anyway.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:54 10 Nov 2019
Answer

click here and have a read

Dunk 19:46 10 Nov 2019

Fruit Bat /\0/\

Many thanks for the link, had a read of it and followed with the link about mobile phone charging!

So you helped me twice over, and I'm very grateful.

Secret-Squirrel 10:10 11 Nov 2019

I'm just interested to know what is best for the battery life......................it rarely leaves my desk

It's usually the heat inside a laptop that degrades a battery's life-span, so If the battery is easily removable then the best for your battery is to leave it out and put it in when needed.

Lithium-Ion batteries will retain most of their charge even after months of storage.

Dunk 19:10 11 Nov 2019

Secret-Squirrel

Thanks for your reply, can you safely run the laptop with no battery installed ( just plugged into the mains by the charger?

I was under the impression that you had to have the battery in place (even if it is incapable of holding much charge) when you connect the charger?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:33 11 Nov 2019

I'm running two old laptops without batteries as training machines.

Dunk 22:25 11 Nov 2019

Thanks, yet again, Fruit Bat /\0/.

Most appreciated.

Secret-Squirrel 08:24 12 Nov 2019

..........can you safely run the laptop with no battery installed ...............

Yes you can. In fact it's the best advice if you rarely use the battery because having it connected all the time, and the heat inside a laptop is what causes it to wear out.

The only potential problem is that without the battery the laptop's stability could suffer a bit and make it top-heavy.

Dunk 08:32 12 Nov 2019

Secret-Squirrel

Thanks again, the stability is not an issue as it's on my workdesk all the time, never my lap!

wee eddie 13:57 12 Nov 2019

Erica's a Spammer - FE told

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

Motorola teases 9 September phone event, likely for new Razr

Best art and design exhibitions still happening in 2020

New leak sets out Apple Watch, iPad, and iPhone 12 launch dates

Les meilleures batteries externes (2020)