laptop

moorie 13:38 08 Jun 2006

hi i have a laptop with only a floppy drive on it,is there any way i can load software that is on cd onto it,its just a cheapy 2nd hand one that i will be using on the road to access excel and sage accounts,so once these were loaded i wouldnt need a cd drive

B1nary 13:51 08 Jun 2006

Hi Moorie.

You can get yourself a cheap USB external cd drive online!!

moorie 14:42 08 Jun 2006

any suggestions bear in mind the laptop was £50

B1nary 15:14 08 Jun 2006

MMMMMMM.... do you have a home PC?... if so why not use a usb flash drive, and copy what you need, lot cheaper!

examples.. click here

moorie 15:49 08 Jun 2006

hi yes ive got a pc and another laptop which has a cd drive also a 128mb memory stick but can you transfer te software?it seems ok to transfer files but i want install the software

B1nary 16:08 08 Jun 2006

...Sorry totally forgot that was what you asked for in the first place :-]...

network your pc to laptop, share the cd drive, that way you can use your laptop to access the cd drive of pc!.. then keep files on a flash as backup!

moorie 17:14 08 Jun 2006

mmm,ive just networked the laptop and 2nd pc to my main pc but couldnt do the cheapy as i couldnt load the driver cd for the cardbus pci adapter to share the cable broadband internet connection etc catch 22?
can i network the cheapy on seperate network via a cable as the wireless card not loaded to connect via network.

B1nary 18:18 08 Jun 2006

Do you have a crossover network cable? you can connect directly!

steps to help you....
click here

moorie 18:42 08 Jun 2006

hi thanks for that ,crossover cables seem cheap enough at a few pounds,once connected is it relatively easy to install software from pc with cd to laptop without
any ideas
thanks again

moorie 18:55 08 Jun 2006

hi also thought i would ask if i had a external hard drive with software installed on it and then connected the external hard drive to laptop would i be able to run the programs

B1nary 19:22 08 Jun 2006

you can use an external HDD as long as the spec of the laptop is good enough..

min Pentium II - 233 MHz - RAM 32 MB.. dependant on type.. approx £60+..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Indie publisher Canongate’s top 10 book covers of 2017

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Tablettes Amazon Fire : quel modèle choisir ?