lap top "freezing"

end 13:06 24 Oct 2004

latitude CPt.64 MB of RAM 86% free.

today quite happily sorting out e mails on server, then screen froze;
eventually had to switch off at power as nowt else would "work"; now machine refuses to connect to internet; do not have a router (moans), so am back on tower to send this:)
machine has been "freezing" several times recently, as if it has "lost the plot", then comes back to life; have run scan disc and defragment on it, have rebooted it several time but no success, and the modem leads are OK as using them now on tower:)

as far as I know it is not overheating, ;NB it is nto a "new" machine but a rebuild one;

you will need to tell me where to look in what section of the thing if you need any more info for me to sort it out; and I will have to swap back to it to try any reconnecting to the net:)

VoG II 14:10 24 Oct 2004

Can you get it to start in MS-DOS mode:- Start, Shutdown, Restart in MS-DOS (from memory).

Then at the > prompt type

scanreg /restore

and press the Enter key. You should then be given a list of dates to restore the registry to.

end 14:36 24 Oct 2004

are you suggesting ( and no sarcasm in implied or intended here ::))) )

that the registry has "flipped"?
of interest, since I have had the thing; it has taken to "freezing " for short periods of time, the "gets its act together" and carries on ; BUT, I thought that the Registry checks itself each time I switch the thing on(??), which is one reason why I rebooted several times before I went back to the tower,

am at present on lappy again , having "rested" lappy for about 20 minutes or so, so i know that the modem is OK as it works on tower:)

VoG II 15:56 24 Oct 2004

That would be my first thought if a Windows 98 machine starts playing up.

From memory, you don't have a working CD drive, so other options like System File Checker won't work.

end 16:09 24 Oct 2004

"you don't have a working CD drive,".. I do, just do not have a CR Rewriter:)

and does not the Registry "reset" itself when the thing is turned on each time, or have i misunderstood that part of the start-up process:)

but, would a Registry "hiccough" account for the thing going in to "freeze-mode" actually, relatively frequently; it manages to do it perhaps once each time I am working with it; I thought it might be the optic mouse I have here but,,, am running out of ideas:(

VoG II 16:12 24 Oct 2004

I believe that Windows checks the registry for major corruption on startup. If there is major corruption, it won't start up at all.

Try this: Start, Run, type in

sfc

and click OK. You may be asked to insert your Windows CD.

end 16:15 24 Oct 2004

actually...hopefully the back-up should be on the lappy itself...back shortly I hope:)

end 16:20 24 Oct 2004

sfc ran clear with no problems:)

VoG II 16:35 24 Oct 2004

Is it a battery-powered mouse - you could try replacing the batteries. However, I doubt if that is the cause.

When it freezes, have you pressed CTRL+ALT+DEL together to bring up the Task Manager to see if anything is shown as "Not Responding"?

end 16:46 24 Oct 2004

from memory (ha ha ) when I have tried that nowt happened; it may be that I can only give that answer at the next "event":)

and mouse is an optical one, with a red light under it..

end 17:09 24 Oct 2004

when this happens again, which doubtless it will in the next few days(::::)))) will try the task manager bit and report back:)

but...it is as if the thing "looses the plot" for a short while , goes off and "does its own thing" then gets back to work..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

Iconic New York graphic designer Milton Glaser on his uplifting new subway posters

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment suivre le parcours du père Noël ?