Lan chatting

TTP 18:09 30 Sep 2004

Im looking for a simple utility to enable me to send & receive text based messages to my other computer on a 2 PC wireless LAN. Ive had a look thru the downloads section - cant find anything. Looked on the net - cant find anything. I am unsure whether messenger is useful (we both have XP) as i am reluctant to use it for security reasons. Is there 2 types of messenger services ? Please feel free to reccommend personal prefrences etc

TTP 18:34 30 Sep 2004

I cant seem to get that to work........

cyberphobic 20:36 30 Sep 2004

MSN/Hotmail would do what you want to do, you only invite contacts that you want - no-one else will be able to contact you. I regularly tell my children (all online in their bedrooms) to go to bed via hotmail!

TTP 08:57 01 Oct 2004

I got winchat running (after enabling the relevant DDE network services) - selecting the other pc from the list - it just comes up with unable to connect (or something like that - i cant check right now because its in 98se - ahh memories !!). I will check the correct wording if you wish - 'the other computer did not respond'. Is it something to do with the firewalls ? Ive tried it without ZA & just the XPsp2 firewalls on , i darent drop this one aswell right now for obvious reasons ! CYBERPHOBIC - i really dont want to have to dial up each time, i just need a chat service no matter how basic really to do the same as you !DINNER! BEDTIME! COME DOWNSTAIRS PLEASE! etc

cyberphobic 09:01 01 Oct 2004

Sorry, didn't realise you were on dialup, we have broadband so all our PCs are online all the time.

hillybilly 09:36 01 Oct 2004

Think a small program called Nassi is what you need.
Click here
click here

TTP 16:26 01 Oct 2004

It IS open on both pcs ! Im just DLing nassi for a play. Ill post back before i go to work later.

TTP 16:41 01 Oct 2004

nah i want a free one !

Zion_Lion 19:39 01 Oct 2004

Hi mate... you could try this simple program called stickies click here
It's not a messenger type of service but it does allow you to send and recieve messages across a lan in the form of post-it's like you find on your office desk, and it's free.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?