Lack of space on recovery D drive.

Drum 12:51 12 Jul 2008

I've got Windows XP OS on my computer which was supplied without any system disk.

Instead, for backup of the OS I've got a recovery partition on the D. drive which amounts to only 4.6 GB. The trouble is 4.2 GB of it is already used leaving only around 200 MB of free space. I constantly get warnings that I am running out of space on my D. drive, particularly if I'm using programs like Photoshop, but I don't know how to increase the partition size without formatting the complete drive in which case I lose my OS, or make space by deleting something.

All the files on the drive appear to be locked or protected, and the only one I can open to explore is a temp folder which has seven large files containing between 40 and 200 MB. These are named like ~PST5967.tmp The date of some of these files goes back to 2004.
My question is, can I delete or move some of these safely?

ronalddonald 14:18 13 Jul 2008

one more thing dont be afrid of downlaoding sotware onto the memory stick, get something like 8gb or higher try click here they do upto 16gb i think or try a kingston 4gb from click here

woodchip 16:13 13 Jul 2008

Have you deleted the temp files on D? as you do not need ant Temps on C or D When Computer as done what its doing it should clean up after its self. This shows bad Programing by some body

Drum 11:16 14 Jul 2008

Thanks for the input everyone. I've got lots of spare capacity on my C. drive which is 180 GB in total, 140 GB of which is available. The D recovery partition is 4.6 GB in total, but only 220 MB of which is free. I've got quite a few USB flash drives and a 60 GB external hard drive which I use for backups, so it's the D partition size that's the problem.

In the meantime I've removed some of the temp files from the D drive to separate external storage, and this has instantly made more space.
I won't really know if this is the answer though, because it's only if and when I lose my OS that I'll need the recovery partition, and only then will I find out whether it's working okay or not.

I had a feeling that there was some software that could re-create a partition on the fly as it were, without deleting anything, but don't know what this is?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Moto G6 Play Review: First Look

iPad 9.7in (2018) review

Les meilleures coques pour iPhone 8 & iPhone 8 Plus