Keylogging trojan - am I safe?

CurlyWhirly 01:57 14 Jul 2004

I have just gone to a website to download a file (no NOT P2P!) and I had a virus detection pop-up come up saying that it has detected the 'JS/Keylog-Briss.ldr trojan'.
I have since deleted the file and run another scan and nothing shows up but how can I be sure that it has really gone?
I need to be sure as I use my PC for internet banking and I read in a website article that these keylogging trojans detect keypresses BEFORE they are sent out on the internet in encrypted format as there is NO encryption between the keyboard and the computer.
Also I am curious so I was wondering if a hacker installs a trojan on your PC and it is detected (and deleted) does the hacker KNOW that his trojan has been discovered i.e. would an error message appear on his computer screen?
CW

CurlyWhirly 02:14 14 Jul 2004

Santos7

I have just been to the Sophos website as your link directed me and after reading the trojan screen I clicked on the link and I came across a list of ALL trojans on the Sophos database and it is huge!
I didn't think that were so many trojans out there!
Also I have the registered version of the A2 (A squared) trojan scanner and it wasn't even alerted so thank goodness for McAfee VirusScan 7!
I thought that a dedicated trojan scanner was better at detecting trojans than an anti-virus package?
CW

CurlyWhirly 02:27 14 Jul 2004

Dan the Confused

Cheers for your advice.
I have disabled System Restore and run another virusscan and nothing shows up.
I have also run ad-aware and Spybot and nothing here either (except the 4 DSO exploits that I have read on this very forum is a bug in Spybot that will be fixed soon and as i have ALL the latest Microsoft patches I am not at risk) so I 'must' be clean?
I have had a few viruses and worms (mainly cause I didn't download the Microsoft updates!) in the past but this is the first time I have had a keylogger trojan.
CW

CurlyWhirly 02:37 14 Jul 2004

Dan the Confused

'nothing to be concerned about?'

I use my PC for internet banking and I don't want some hacker stealing my password(s)!
CW

CurlyWhirly 12:06 14 Jul 2004

SimianBenzoate

Well my bank is different as I have to enter the FULL password in along with my USERNAME and other security information like a MEMORABLE PLACE, etc!
CW

CurlyWhirly 11:34 15 Jul 2004

GANDALF

I am a bit confused as if the chances of anyone monitoring this keylogger (as you mentioned in your last e-mail) is remote then what is the point of putting it on the internet in the first place as I thought the point of keyloggers was to relay information to the hacker?
CW

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Google Home Hub review

Print legends Dan Mumford and Supermundane on making the leap from 2D to AR

How to watch Apple’s October 2018 iPad launch

Mac : comment forcer la fermeture d’une application ?