keyboard won't work.....

SpyMan {:o)){--< 10:49 27 Mar 2005

my keyboard won't work properly but there is nothing wrong with keyboard as i have tried another keyboard on my PC and it won't work. The keyboard barely works when i am adjusting the bios...then it refuses to work altogether when i am in windows.

I thought it maybe a fault with windows...so i tried to reformat and reinstall windows...but because the keyboard couldn't work...i couldn't enter the setup.

What could be the problem?

regards

Graham

Stuartli 10:53 27 Mar 2005

Is it a wireless type - if so the batteries may need changing.

Otherwise the keyboard itself may have gone on the blink. It happened to me recently with a wireless version (the mouse still works OK) and I'm currently using a standard keyboard until the Lidl or Staples £15-£20 offer for a keyboard/mouse set with an optical mouse gets under way.

SpyMan {:o)){--< 10:56 27 Mar 2005

its a ps2 keyboard...

and it works fine on my other computer, but my other keyboard won't work on it so i can only assume that it isn't a keyboard error as such

Gongoozler 11:03 27 Mar 2005

If no keyboard works on the computer, the most likely cause is a faulty keyboard interface chip on the motherboard. You haven't told us what motherboard or version of Windows you have, but Windows XP has a on screen virtual keyboard you can try. Start - All Programs - Accessories - Accessibility - On-Screen Keyboard.

Stuartli 11:28 27 Mar 2005

IIRC the onboard keyboard is from ME onwards.

Have you checked the keyboard's Properties in Device Manager?

It might be worth disabling it and then reinstalling.

BlueMeanie 22:30 28 Mar 2005

Perhaps try or borrow a USB keyboard and see if this works OK, which would eliminate using the PS2 port.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

How Sketch and InVision have revolutionised our design workflow

The best tech gifts for Christmas 2017

Les meilleurs jeux de société (2017)