Keyboard and mouse to both laptop and desktop

philip may 23:18 21 Aug 2018

Hello,

I want to plug my keyboard and mouse into my laptop without having to disconnect from my desktop. Would a USB female to double male work?

Thanks.

Taff™ 09:43 22 Aug 2018

You need what is known as a KVM switch (Keyboard/Video/Mouse)which you can get online from Amazon for example for under £20.

I doubt the use of a USB splitter would work because the actions would be sent to both machines and I presume you want to use them independently.Personally I have a closed lid laptop to my main 24" Monitor connected by VGA cable and wireless Keyboard & Mouse - easily moved out of the way. Then a small keyboard and mouse to my tower connected by HDMI cable to the same monitor - I just switch the monitor inputs between HDMI and VGA knowing that if required the laptop screen can be opened and seen at the same time.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei Mate 20 Pro review: In-depth hands-on

Adobe's groundbreaking prototypes of new features and apps for Creative Cloud

iPhone XR release date, price & specs

Test : le Samsung Galaxy A9