Keyboard characters

  bturner 16:29 02 Apr 2012

Newbie question,

I need to use a character from my keyboard, the button I need to use has 3 characters on it, pressing it produces "`", holding shift and pressing the button produces "¬", how do I get the third character on this button?

Thanks for any help.

  lotvic 16:58 02 Apr 2012

Hold down Alt Gr and press the key ¦

  lotvic 17:10 02 Apr 2012

Or hold down both CTRL and ALT and then press ¦ (ALT GR is equivalent to the CTRL+ALT key combination)

  bturner 17:55 02 Apr 2012

Many thanks for the replies.

Holding down Ctrl and Alt Gr together and pressing the key produes this character "¦"

But the character shown on my key, the one I need to use is a vertical straight line without a break.

  john bunyan 18:04 02 Apr 2012

On my keyboard this character is in the upper case of the \ key and holding shift and that key does this - is that what you want? |||

  bturner 18:07 02 Apr 2012

Lol, thank-you for that.

My new keyboard is marked wrong, the ¦ and | are marked on the wrong keys.

Thanks again.

  john bunyan 18:18 02 Apr 2012

bturner. Have you set up the PC for UK Keyboard? See Here if not:

UK keyboard set up

  bturner 18:31 02 Apr 2012

I have just tried pressing all the keys and also while using the shift key and everything is correct except for the | and ¦

The keyboard is set up correctly in "start, control panel, region and language but I have saved the link you provided just in case I ever need to change the settings on a future keyboard.

All the best.

  john bunyan 20:00 02 Apr 2012

I think you can lever off a key cover and swap them if only 2 are involved.

  AroundAgain 23:28 02 Apr 2012

Quoting lotvic: "ALT GR is equivalent to the CTRL+ALT key combination"

lotvic, thank you for that one - I never knew that!!!

Again, thank you

Just as a point of interest, having just tried typing the said characters, my keyboard produces the ¦ and the | the wrong way around too!

However, can't change the keys around as the other characters on the keys would be wrong! Still, not to worry. I have never used them yet!

Interesting post - thanks everyone

  onthelimit1 09:07 03 Apr 2012

My HP UK keyboard has them the wrong way round as well!!!!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iPad Air (2019) review

Microsoft Paint's not dead

iMac 27in (2019) review

Les bons plans logiciels et services (2019)