Kazaa and AOL

Confab 10:53 28 Jul 2003

My brother is a heavy user of Kazaa Lite and his ISP is AOL Broadband. I would say he's been downloading various files practically 24/7 for the past year or so. I'm not one to judge, if that's what he wants to do then that's up to him.

He went to use his PC about four days ago and noticed that Kazaa was permanently connecting ie it wouldn't connect to the network. he has not been able to connect since. He's checked his firewall settings and all appears to be OK.

My question is - can AOL "block" his connection to the Kazaa network and has anyone experienced the same?

If I need to say to him it's your own fault, you've been blocked for downloading too much then so be it, but I need to find out first.

Thanks

Mango Grummit 13:40 28 Jul 2003

I'm with AOL but don't use Kazaa so I can't really help except to say I remember some AOL verbiage once "disapproving" of Kazaa. I think they probably would be inclined to block it's use.

Djohn 13:46 28 Jul 2003

Sorry for the delay, been for my lunch. Well I can't confirm either what he meant by "Support" It may well mean that they do not offer tech. help. But as in my post at 12:11 they certainly allow use of P2P and do not appear to restrict it's use. Regards. j.

Tazfan 14:53 28 Jul 2003

My "opinion" is that if ISPs DONT block the usage of Kazaa and the like, they SHOULD do. This is not an attack on anyone at all, just my opinion. If they cant be accessed, they cant be used for illegal downloads. I am in the same position as many, and have a very low fixed income (I am registered disabled). Each and every piece of software on my system is legal and paid for. Yes, I have to go without other things, but at least i sleep at nite knowing I have not stolen any software etc.

Confab 15:17 28 Jul 2003

I agree to some degree Tazfan with your comment but the problem is not going to be solved like that. Suppose all ISP's blocked Kazaa and the like except say one ISP. Guess what would happen? - That particular ISP would probably become the biggest ISP in the world.

P2P file sharing does have its good points. A year or so ago I confess I downloaded some software using Kazaa. Yes I know I should not have done it but the thought of not paying $175 was too tempting. To cut a long story short I liked and relied on the software so much that guilt caught up with me and I bought a copy online.

I installed the software, got my registration code but it would not work. I received a message saying "software blocked contact the vendor". I sent an e-mail to the company to explain what had happened and they told me that they knew I had been using an illegal copy, not to do it again and here's the unlock code.

Needless to say any software I want I now buy.

Anyway I'll mark this as resolved.

Confab

SEASHANTY 15:30 28 Jul 2003

As AOL are at present amalgamated with TIME/WARNER and as Warner are a music outlet I would not think that they were all that keen with support for P2P.

Confab 16:20 28 Jul 2003

I think you are right but does not too keen with support mean they won't help you if you have a problem or they will block your connection if you use it too much?

Djohn 17:07 28 Jul 2003

I've signed for broadband only last Wednesday, line was activated on Friday, and now waiting for modem to arrive. On my monthly 56k dial-up account I spend any hours on line, [12 to 16 hours at a time is not unusual] No cut-off or complaints from AOL in the past two and a half years. j.

Confab 17:51 28 Jul 2003

Thanks for that Djohn but my brother has literally spent the last year permanently (24/7) downloading from the net. The sort of things I'm talking about are 5 or 6 600MB files at a time all day evey day.

I wouldn't be suprised if his connection was somehow blocked.

Anyhow I'll check it out in a few weeks for him.

Thanks

SEASHANTY 15:11 29 Jul 2003

When I was with AOL on 56k dial up I had no end of problems with downloading large files from Microsoft, ATI drivers, the Roxio updates etc and the problem never really got sorted until I joined NTL 600k BB. Even NTL have finally decided that they will not let you permanently download more than 1GB of data in any 24 hour period averaged over the week. This is to stop people downloading huge video files on a 24 hour basis. Personally I don't blame them because it ties up a vast amount of cable bandwidth which slows down other users connections. NTL have advised their members of this - perhaps AOL and BT are just hinting on this at present. So your brother is really pushing the limits with 24/7 downloads.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Moto G6 Play Review: First Look

iPad 9.7in (2018) review

Les meilleures coques pour iPhone 8 & iPhone 8 Plus