just noticed there is no sound on my laptop

davecartman 15:13 22 Oct 2018
Answered

As in title on playing a video there was no sound, I tried a CD, same effect. On investigation a message says 'no audio output device is installed'. I have recently replaced my HDD with a SSD using Acronis true image 2019,could this be the cause, I had no problems and everything else seems to work O.K. Laptop is a Toshiba satellite pro L850 1DP with windows 7 home premium, SSD was from Crucial. Any ideas ?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:27 22 Oct 2018

See if you can find your sound chip in Device manager and try updating driver.

difarn 18:00 22 Oct 2018

I came across a post about a similar thing. There was a link to the Acronis forum and a suggestion to make a registry change followed by uninstalling the audio driver and then scanning for hardware changes.

click here where the link came from

click here

davecartman 10:18 23 Oct 2018
Answer

Went into device manager and ' high definition audio controller ' had a yellow triangle against it. Selected update driver and at the end of process it said driver was already up to date. Link from difarn went into too much complication for my expertise, altering registry etc. but within this and also as result of much googling was the suggestion 'delete audio controller and restart and windows would automatically re install' .Did this ( not without some trepidation) and it worked. Thanks for advice and hope this helps anyone else in a similar situation.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Red Dead Online release date and gameplay news

Create a glowing superhero

Mac mini 2018 review

Les meilleures prises CPL