juddering graphics????

Groove_remover 13:17 23 Sep 2003

I am running Win XP, on a AMD athlon 1333(overclocked to 1529)120 GB HDD, Nvidia G Fiorce 4 MX 440, 6 MB of DDR. Plus 512 MB SD RAM
I am playing Tomb Raider 2 and the Graphics are crap and juddering all over the place.
Anyone think of anything that is obvious. I've tried all I know ( thats limited) and its still crap. HELP

LastChip 14:01 23 Sep 2003

Is it still a problem when the machine is not overclocked?

The fact that a processor and memory can be overclocked, does not necessarily mean the graphics card can be too!

Do you really mean 6 MB of DDR, or 64? 6 would be well under-powered.

Does the card support the graphics engine that Tomb Raider 2 requires?

Groove_remover 14:30 23 Sep 2003

I did mean 64 MB of DDR

I have since reclocked the CPU to original 1333 and the problem still persists.

I would imagine that the software on the G Force 4 is likely to be the same as the G Force 2 I had before, which did make Tomb raider 2 work fine.

mark500 14:46 23 Sep 2003
  pinka 15:43 23 Sep 2003

try uninstalling the graphics card and deleting the drivers and reinstall with some from click here

LastChip 17:39 23 Sep 2003

Either of the suggestions above may help, although mark500's only applies if you have a network card.

A common mistake people make, (if building their own machines) is not to load the motherboard drivers. For example, IF you have a VIA chipset, are the VIA 4 in 1 drivers loaded? (or what ever drivers your motherboard requires). This will make a significant difference to the stability of the system overall, and would be particularly relevant to a problem like yours.

VIA and Nvidia are constantly up-dating drivers, so make sure you have the latest loaded. It is probable, the drivers you had for your G Force 2, are not the same as those required for the G Force 4.

Groove_remover 20:52 23 Sep 2003

I'm not really sure what the problem was but it seems to have corrected itelf.
The only thing that I have change as far as I am aware s exchanging a keyboard. Not sure whather the keyboard had an effect(Possibly faulty... with a stuck down or intermittant key stroke - Answers on a post card please.

Groove_remover 20:52 23 Sep 2003

I'm not really sure what the problem was but it seems to have corrected itelf.
The only thing that I have change as far as I am aware s exchanging a keyboard. Not sure whather the keyboard had an effect(Possibly faulty... with a stuck down or intermittant key stroke - Answers on a post card please.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?