Jerky video playback

Trikie 22:49 23 May 2011

Capturing some Mini-DV video the picture is very jerky. Checking already captured stuff that has been transferred to DVDs I find the AVI masters are also now jerky but mpeg1 masters play OK.

I suspect that the problem stems from the PC - could it be the graphics cardor something else?

Windows XP Home, Pentium dual core 2.60GHz ram: 4GB DDR2 Video Card: Nvidea GeForce GTS250 HardDriveCapacity: 500GB.

Trikie 10:26 24 May 2011

Yes, I do have a firewire connection.

It's a new problem that started yesterday whilst capturing. I thought it was just dropped frames but then checked a selection of files of completed projects and found that all the AVI files were jerky but the mpeg1 ones were not.

woodchip 11:36 24 May 2011

Most likely Graphics card, Use Firewire it better than USB for Video

woodchip 11:38 24 May 2011

Use Firewire, its better than USB for Video

chub_tor 12:37 24 May 2011

The spec of your machine is good enough for video processing but have you checked if your hard drive is getting full? You say that it is 500Gb, how much of that is free? If it is pretty full there may not be enough temporary space on it to create the AVI files which take up a lot more of your hard drive than mpeg files. As a matter of interest what software are you using for the capture?

If you find that you are short of hard drive space it may be cluttered with some tmp files. I would try running CCleaner and also do a defrag.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Oppo Reno 2 Z review: Hands-on

TikTok and how to use it for illustration success

macOS Catalina Review: New MacOS update turns your Mac into an entertainment hub

Les meilleures coques pour iPhone 11, 11 Pro et 11 Pro Max (2019)