Hot Topics

Java problem with Open Office

Grandad99 22:01 02 Aug 2015

Open Office tells me that it "requires a java runtime environment to perform the task. The selected JRE is defective. Select another version or install a new JRE."

It creates text documents as odl files and then when I try to open them shows this message!

With my limited PC knowledge I checked that my Windows 7 is 64bit and so downloaded from the Java website jre 8.0.51 but still get the same message.

What version do I need?

northumbria61 14:03 03 Aug 2015

You need 64bit version - try downloading from HERE where it says Download Latest Version 41.22MB

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:50 03 Aug 2015

Java is now a massive security risk, your better off without it.

Grandad99 00:28 06 Aug 2015

Downloaded from northumbria61's link but still getting same message.

Open Office is my only word processor/database programme so it looks as though I need Java to make it function correctly.

Secret-Squirrel 08:23 06 Aug 2015

You're correct Grandad, the Open Office database program needs Java to function. You can get it from here.

After you've installed it, let me know and I'll tell you how to fix its "massive security risk" issue.

Grandad99 20:55 07 Aug 2015

Thanks Secret-Squirrel. I've downloaded from your link, shut down and on restarting still get the same message. I get this on both the word processor and database OpenOffice programmes.

Secret-Squirrel 08:22 08 Aug 2015

Sorry to hear that grandpops. Here are three things to try next (in order):

1) Go in to the Open Office database, click the "Tools" menu -> Options -> Java. Make sure the "Use a Java Runtime Environment" option is ticked. If there's more than one version in the list then select the latest one.

2) Go here to test that your Java is installed correctly and is the latest version.

3) Go to Control Panel -> Programs & Features and uninstall all Java entries. When that's done go back to my link to re-install the latest Java.

Grandad99 13:23 09 Aug 2015

Thanks S-S.
One Java listed in Open Office, version 1.8.0_51.

Using your link in 2 Java says as I use Chrome it can't help (or words to that effect). I've looked at some of the explanatory pages but as a very basic computer user am totally lost.

Secret-Squirrel 18:00 09 Aug 2015

....Java says as I use Chrome it can't help....

You can use Internet Explorer instead. It'll be installed on your computer. If you don't where it is then simply click your Start button and start typing the program's name. After typing just a few letters it'll appear at the top of the list.

Or, you could go straight to suggestion #3 and uninstall all Java entries.

Grandad99 21:25 09 Aug 2015

I used IE to download your link. OpenOffice shows Java 1.8.0_51 is installed but on trying to save a test text document I still get the message in my first post.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

For Microsoft, 2020 is a year of profound change

Design Museum's From Kraftwerk to The Chemical Brothers show to finally open

EvilQuest malware 'is after your data, not your money'

Les meilleurs SSD (2020)