I've just changed my ISP. My online banking feature worked perfectly with the old ISP but I cannot access it with the new ISP. It goes into the home page, I type in my codes etc. then I get a message come up saying "loading Java Appelet" then it comes back with an error message (which I have trouble understanding as it's in French). I have tried several things like Internet Options, Privacy, Advanced, over-riding both types of cookies but still it doesn't access it. I have Windows XP, my version of microsoft outlook is 6 (but I don't use outlook express as I've always had some problems with this, my ISP is now Wanadoo and everything else seems to work fine.