It used to be a popular topic... Defrag

Graham* 01:19 25 Jul 2013

I thought my PC was doing it automatically, but it wasn't.

So I defragged (Vista). Immediately I noticed a speedier boot and resume from standby.

Try it.

Chronos the 2nd 06:04 25 Jul 2013

So many of us have moved to SSD hardrives that defragging is long longer necessary. To be honest I have not even done it on my 2 x 1TB secondary drives but as one has around 500GB of games on it, perhaps it is something I should do?

compumac 09:13 25 Jul 2013

I used to (in the distant past) defrag every week, but since then have used Diskeeper automatically defragging and completely forgot about it until I saw this posting. My main PC has slowed slightly over the past few months, so after seeing this posting I looked at Diskeeper, analysed and then defragged and it has quickened up. Going back to the distant past there were two main problems of slowing down - a need for defragging and the removal of temp files.

Chronos the 2nd 09:45 25 Jul 2013

Maybe this is the way the newer Windows OS's are but I have just run an analyses on my 1TB Steam HDD which has around 500GB of games on it and the message is 0% fragmented.

So perhaps for those of us who have later versions of Windows no longer need to concern ourselves with defragging.

wiz-king 11:54 25 Jul 2013

Windows 7 automatically defrags once a week unless to not to.

spuds 13:02 25 Jul 2013

Whether this is a subject that was once the thing to do, but now isn't due to people getting more 'computer savvy', and the components are getting more advanced, I wouldn't know. Perhaps someone else as an opinion or suggestions on that?.

But from my own experiences, I very seldom do this nowadays, even when I partake in fairly frequent clean-ups, which usually results in a speedier and less problematic computer. When I have done any defragmenting, its usually with one of those 'quick' defrag (Auslogic?) programmes, and not the operating systems own devices.

Batch 13:23 25 Jul 2013

I clean up and defrag my system partition once a month (or thereabouts) just before I take an image. Just me being tidy minded I suppose.

rdave13 14:01 25 Jul 2013

Same as Chronos the 2nd. Both ordinary drives show 0% fragmented but Windows wants to defrag the SSD.

Housten 17:39 25 Jul 2013

wiz-king,

Good afternoon,

You state that "Windows 7 automatically defrags once a week unless to not to."

I have "Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit" and I Defrag at least once a month. Could you, please, tell me how to get this as I have never seen this and it would save a lot of time and effort.

Many, many thanks in anticipation

spuds 18:06 25 Jul 2013

Housten

click here

john bunyan 18:29 25 Jul 2013

I use Auslogics defragmenter about once a week. Far quicker than the W7 one.See:

Auslogics defrag

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

No need to scan sketches into your computer with Moleskine's new smart pen

WWDC history: Apple's product launches since 2005

Comment importer des contacts d’un iPhone à un autre iPhone ?