Hot Topics

is it possible my gpu is faulty?

CodeM 19:46 29 Oct 2019

over the last couple of months my pc has been having issues with launching games. About 95% of all games i start make my pc crash, the gpu fans start spinning at maximum capacity, my screen goes black and i have to turn off the power to make the pc work again. so far the following things have been tried to fix it:

• updated drivers.
  • clean install drivers.
  • reinstalled windows.
  • removed all dust from pc.

overheating isnt the problem since it can happen even if the pc has been off for hours. overclocking hasnt helped and at this point it just points at a faulty gpu but i want to be sure. the gpu i have is an AMD rx480 and its about 3 years old

x13 19:55 29 Oct 2019

overheating isnt the problem since it can happen even if the pc has been off for hours

Depends on the state of the gpu's thermal paste.

CodeM 20:30 05 Nov 2019

Depends on the state of the gpu's thermal paste.

i am not sure how to check that, but i feel like its a low chance because the crash happens at specific points (either at the same point of a cutscene 3 times in a row, at the same place in the loading screen) so it feels like it isnt the thermal paste

BRYNIT 07:14 06 Nov 2019

Just a thought, if it crashes at a certain point in the game have you done a check on your HDD as it could be a HDD fault not being able to read the files CLICK HERE on ways to check HDD.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

5 video games we want to see as movies

You've watched Parasite, now read the storyboards in comic book form

The best games on Apple Arcade

Les meilleures lumières connectées (2020)