Hot Topics

Is it Possible to boost your wifi to 800 metres?

Matthew Mafoon Ahearn 20:32 17 Jul 2016

Is it Possible to boost your wifi to 800 metres? Basically I've been playing the new pokemon go and the local signal is not man enough for the job, i can connect and play the game from my home via the wifi but as soon as i head outside and switch over to the mobile data the app fails to connect. Over in the major towns I've been able to walk out of work and play the game fine on mobile data but here in my village it rarely connects, fails to load map data and when it does it's not stable enough for me to fight the gym here. I was wandering if there was a way to give myself the coverage i need by boosting my wifi signal to such a range that i could connect to it from the other side of the viallge. An 800m radius would go out just beyond the village in one direction and way out in the other but would serve my purposes. Can it be done from a technical stand point? Is it commercially available to buy? and what kind of price are we talking about? This link to amazon is as far as i got doing my own research but these products are not something i can fully understand myself. click here

Secret-Squirrel 10:32 18 Jul 2016

Is it Possible to boost your wifi to 800 metres?

No, it's not something you can achieve yourself with affordable equipment.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:36 18 Jul 2016

You could do it point to point but not for a wide radius.

Also would have thought it to be a bit of a security risk.

Secret-Squirrel 10:39 18 Jul 2016

You could do it point to point.............

That's hardly ideal for Pokemon Go because the OP would need to stand in one precise spot in the village ;)

robin_x 11:18 18 Jul 2016

Try Incense at home.

Try a long range aerial and walk backwards and forwards along its line of sight.

Make sure you have set 'strong' wifi security (WPA2)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S20 Fan Edition: Rumoured specs, availability and more

“Drawing a comic is like directing a movie”: Cartoonist Chendi Xu on her European yarns

Apple Breakfast: iOS 14 public beta & iPhone 12 price rise

Offre exclusive : Windows 10 Pro à seulement 39,99 €