is it ok to upgrade old system?

gruffass 12:30 24 Feb 2006

About 6 yrs ago a friend built me a system with a pentium II 300, 96 ram. Since then ive bought new and upgraded so i have a spare 256 memory stick & 64 mb graphics card. Will it be ok to put them in the old system. The old system has windows ME

gruffass 08:24 25 Feb 2006

didnt change memory cos the memory had to cut out grooves which fit into the slot where as the spare one had only 1, so i fitted the graphics card but when i turned it on it read the memory as ok but then came up with memory test fail! Wont boot up. could the graphics card have done that? Blown the memory? I get the same message when i put the original card back in.

gruffass 08:54 25 Feb 2006

reseated the memory, no memory fail test message, i then get the "windows failed to start up properly" message pick 1.normal 2.safe mode etc, so i pick safe mode and it stops booting up, monitor a blank screen!!! I hate computers!!

gruffass 09:25 25 Feb 2006

This is the second pc this week that has "gone". Is it possible that a light bulb blowing would cause some kind of power surge? Clutching at straws i know but its kinda bugging me why 2 pc's fail in one week

gruffass 16:10 25 Feb 2006

any ideas guys?

namtas 22:01 25 Feb 2006

gruffass.

In theory it is possible that a bulb blowing causing a short circuit could prior the the protection working cause a problem, more so if you have a older type circuit with fuses rather than Circuit Breakers.
A surge suppressor if fitted would help prevent this voltage depression.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Officially Launches In The UK

iPad Pro 2018 review: there's much for artists and designers to love about Apple's new iPad

iPad Pro 12.9in (2018) review

Streaming & TV : comment regarder le combat Tyson Fury vs Wilder ?