Is it OK to delete Windows temporary files?

The Belarussian Mafia 17:34 03 Dec 2003

When I do an antivirus check on the whole hard disk it is noticeable that there are some wierd-sounding large temporary folders/files. Is it OK to find and delete these? I have a hunch that one or two of them store all e-mail records and attachments (outlook express), so I'd need to preserve these folders.

I'm not quite sure what the rest consist of, as I periodically delete internet clutter using Norton disk cleanup. Are the folders perhaps connected with the opening of zipped files or some kind of temporary info stored during game-play, etc?

Any experts out there who know about this kind of thing? If there is a lot of useless clutter in these files, it has been accumulating for over four years, so it would be nice to get rid of it.

Related question: I once saw someone delete all the names of websites that automatically pop up when you start to type a web address. How do you do that - or more to the point - is there somewhere in Windows you can actually view all the websites you've visited? (It might be interesting to see some long-forgotten sites listed.)

Diodorus Siculus 17:43 03 Dec 2003

Have a look at emptytempfolders from click here for your first query - generally, anything in temporary folders can be emptied it they are a day old or so - or at least older than the last reboot.

2nd query: have a look at tools, internet options, content, autopcomplete.

The typed URLs are stored in the registry, but I can't remember where - under a key called typedurls or the like.

The Belarussian Mafia 18:01 03 Dec 2003

Thanks Dio. Unfortunately the link you mentioned appears to be temporarily unavailable. The second piece of advice appears to relate to XP. I am still running '98, and all I can find under Control Panel Internet Options is "Delete History" - perhaps there is no viewing option in '98?

Diodorus Siculus 18:13 03 Dec 2003

I think the advice I gave in the second part is based on IE6 (I don't use XP any more). I don't think that they can be viewed there though - only deleted. To see them, you need to look in the registry I think.

click here for emptytempfolders.

Diodorus Siculus 18:15 03 Dec 2003

typed urls are here:

HKEY_USERS/Default/Software/Microsoft/Internet Explorer/TypedURLs/

HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Internet Explorer/TypedURLs/

Just be careful! Don't change or delete anything unless you are sure what you are doing. Dobra!

accord 18:51 03 Dec 2003

click here

works fine for me

The Belarussian Mafia 19:54 03 Dec 2003

Thanks for all the advice.

The freeware looks like just what I was looking for. I just don't understand why Windows (or even Norton Cleanup) don't do this!

I won't be doing anything in the registry as I don't know anything about it.

Dio: a vy chto - polyak?

Diodorus Siculus 20:10 03 Dec 2003

a vy chto - polyak? - Only know the one word, and thought it was Belarussian for OK!

The Belarussian Mafia 20:26 03 Dec 2003

Nice one. I only asked (in Russian) whether you were perhaps Polish (very few people actually know Belarussian, but the language is partly mutually intelligeable with Polish).

Thanks again. Sheera djyakooyoo (=thanks very much in Bel.) A nice party-piece for you.

R4 20:27 03 Dec 2003

The history is held in a 'History' folder in the windows directory.

Home IE Explorer has a show history tab that will show all sites visited within the last few weeks/months depending on the allocated space for the history file

The Belarussian Mafia 08:44 04 Dec 2003

Thanks R4

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Illustrator Charles Williams on how to create magazines and book covers

iMac Pro review

Les meilleures prises CPL (2018)