Is it inadvisable to coil wires to a computer?

1936 11:46 28 Nov 2016

I know that it is not advisable to coil the power cable from the electrical service socket to a motor caravan because it can over heat and fail. But I have a nest of wires under my desk from printers and the like connected to my computer and I would like to tidy them up. Would that create any problems?

Burn-it 13:47 28 Nov 2016

Where the power draw is for a single device and herefore not great, the effect will be minimal for each cable. Even with the caravan example it is only when you have quite a few turns round a common core that the reverse emf gengerated will affect it.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:06 28 Nov 2016

Should be OK I have mine cable tied and hung on hooks behind the desk.

Also done similar with the TV / VCR / PVR / DVD players.

Forum Editor 17:11 28 Nov 2016

Computer peripherals consume very little power - you'll do no harm by coiling their cables.

1936 17:29 28 Nov 2016

Many thanks for that.

Bazzaman 18:25 28 Nov 2016

My impression is that you are asking about various "signal" cables rather than (solely) power cables.

In the main, most signal cables tend to be quite tolerant at being coiled / mixed with others. Many of them are shielded (e.g. foil or a wire mesh underneath the outer coating which acts as a barrier to reduce the impact of stray signals).

However, some are not (e.g. ADSL cable from a router to a microfilter at a phone socket).

Having said that, many of us have masses of cables (including power cables) all tied together and / or coiled and fed here and there without any material impacts. In this day and age it can be difficult to avoid this.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 release date & specs

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2019 is 'Living Coral'

Can Macs Get Viruses & Do Macs Need Antivirus Software?

Comment baisser votre ping ?