Is it dead

Nightmanager 04:28 23 Jun 2005

I had problems with an old dell PC running windows 98 and after trying a different hard drive in the system the computer failed to get past the POST. I formated the original drive and put that back in the dell PC but still the PC would not start up, as it stuck before fininshing the POST. I took the battery out to clear the BIOS and the screen on boot up now states that the case has been opened and I should go to set up.
unfortunately no key strokes do anything nor will the computer see either the floppy, nor CD Rom

howard60 08:38 23 Jun 2005

2 thoughts - first do you have any usb leads connected - I spent several hours with a non booting pc and by chance removed a usb lead and it all worked ok. Second - you could have a faulty power supply. Even though fans whizz and the hard drive buzzes some parts may not be receiving power. Check internally that all cables are connected - remove lead and then replace rather than just pressing on them. Finally a faulty component ie floppy; cd or memory module etc., could be blocking things. If all else fails remove the leads to all components and see if the pc will boot at all. You do not mention if you get any beeps at start up these often pinpoint the problem.

Diemmess 08:50 23 Jun 2005

You have reset the BIOS by removing the battery.

So first go to the BIOS (usually delete key after switch on).

Make sure that Floppy is the first boot device, HD 0 the second and CDROM there somewhere.

Make sure that HD is set to Auto. Then "Save and Exit BIOS"(usually F10) and let the computer run as far as it will. For simplicity at this stage either switch off or reboot and put the Win98 startup floppy in drive A:

If it eventually arrives at A:> you are in business! You can do a new install of W98 as normal.

961 09:46 23 Jun 2005

Take care...some Dells have none standard power supply configurations/cable colours/pin settings

Nightmanager 12:16 24 Jun 2005

I have checked the voltage on both the 12v and 5v rail and they are both within tolerance, I also unplugged everything other than the hard drive and still the PC will not boot. The actual message on the black screen when I turn on the PC is firstline

ALERT! COVER WAS PREVIOUSLY REMOVED

and the second line appears as follows

INVALID CONFIGURATION INFORMATION - PLEASE RUN SET UP PROGRAM

Nightmanager 12:16 24 Jun 2005

I have checked the voltage on both the 12v and 5v rail and they are both within tolerance, I also unplugged everything other than the hard drive and still the PC will not boot. The actual message on the black screen when I turn on the PC is firstline

ALERT! COVER WAS PREVIOUSLY REMOVED

and the second line appears as follows

INVALID CONFIGURATION INFORMATION - PLEASE RUN SET UP PROGRAM

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

6 great UX design talks you can watch online

How to jailbreak an iPhone or iPad in iOS 11 or iOS 10

Musique de Noël : les meilleures chansons en streaming