Issues with my Desktop Computer

geek84 19:35 25 Feb 2019

Hi Folks My desktop runs on Windows 7 Home Edition. It has been working perfectly until last week. When I start it up, the screen fills up with messages and various characters and the last line says 'Press F1 to load default values and continue'. After pressing F1 another message appears saying 'launch startup repair (recommended)'. When I click on that, another message appears stating 'Do you want to restore your computer using system restore', and it has 2 boxes at the bottom Restore and Cancel.

After clicking on Restore, another box appears stating 'Startup repair is checking your system for problems.' Eventually, it says 'Start up repair cannot repair this computer automatically' and gives 2 options of sending a report and not sending a report. When I click the 2nd option, the computer turns off'.

Could someone be kind enough to advice how I can resolve this issue?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:35 25 Feb 2019

I'm assuming it's an old machine?

First message may be due to the CMOS battery needing changing (a cheap easy job to do) and might even cure the second problem.

If not then do you have a win 7 DVD - boot from that and do the start up repair.

LV426 10:53 26 Feb 2019

It could well have been the bios battery and windows did not load properly, prompting the repair, if you get it to boot again dismiss any repairs and launch windows normally if that is an option. The fact that windows was running fine before suggests a misload and not impending doom.

geek84 20:26 26 Feb 2019

Hi Folks

Many thanks for your replies.

I bought the machine in 2010 and do sometimes use the power button to turn off the machine if it is taking too long to turn off in the usual manner.

To solve my issue, do you think I should insert the windows 7 cd and run it?

If so, my next problem is I can't find the cd !!

wee eddie 21:10 26 Feb 2019

If you are doing as Keith advises (it's good advice) remember that it will destroy all your files.

So you will need a backup of all your personal and business stuff

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:53 27 Feb 2019

You can download from Microsoft and burn a new CD or put it on a bootable USB but yo will need your serial key.

click here

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 10 Now On Sale: Price, Specification & Features

Best free Photoshop brushes 2019

Apple TV streaming service: what, where, when and how much

Les meilleurs écouteurs et casques audio Lightning (2019)