Issue with my laptop keyboard

KXCVII 19:29 02 Aug 2018

My HP Pavilion laptop keyboard has been acting weird for around a month now. It'll act as if I'm holding down a certain key when I'm not. E.g. it'll sometimes start typing in caps and open things that i click in a new window, as if i was holding down the shift key. Sometimes it's ctrl, alt and alt gr. To fix it temporarily i just double press whichever key it is or else lock my laptop using start+L.

I've noticed that the arrow keys are the triggers. When i press the up or down arrows a few times it triggers the shift key, left triggers alt and right triggers alt gr. Also when i use shift/ctrl the it'll happen, as if i had on sticky keys which i don't.

i've tried resetting my computer, a complete recovery but neither worked. The HP Support forum suggested ordering a set of recovery media but it'll cost £40 so i wanted to get another opinion first

Does anyone have any ideas of how to fix it? Could it be a problem with the wires or ribbon cable or should i just try the recovery media?

Sorry for the long and messy question

HondaMan 21:04 02 Aug 2018

How old is it?

KXCVII 00:41 03 Aug 2018

sorry meant to say. It's from February 2017 so a year and a half

wee eddie 01:04 03 Aug 2018

Bung in a new keyboard. If the place you bought it from is close by, you could try to get it done under Warranty

Taff™ 09:42 03 Aug 2018

Make sure you have the Correct Win10 Language Packs installed and download any via the System under Language and Input Options.

I had a customer who lost all these when Win10 updated about a month ago.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Red Dead Online release date and gameplay news

Create a glowing superhero

Mac mini 2018 review

Les meilleures prises CPL