Issue with csv and text files on EXCEL

freddy-firecracker 18:38 03 Feb 2008

I am transferring various notepad files across to EXCEL based on a csv save. The data contained in the text file is seperated by a space for each column. The problem is on excel when trying to view and filter the information. The data will be set out as follows: 4 digit code, space, 6 digit code, space, date, space, name, space. This can be copied across o.k however the next column poses a problem. The text will be a description of errors(words, seperated by spaces). When i import the whole file all this text is placed into seperate cells on EXCEL instead of one cell.SOmetimes up to thirty cells(depending upon the error). I know this sunds complicated but would appreciate any help.

What i basically want is the first few codes and dates appearing in a seperate cell for each entry and all the error codes to appear in one cell beside it.

Thanks

FF

VoG II 18:47 03 Feb 2008

Well, I wouldn't start from there if I were you. Can you not save these as comma-delimited with a comma instead of a space to denote the next column.

If that's not possible then you could add a formula like

=E1 & " " & F1 & " " & G1 & " " & H1 & " " & I1

in a column to the right somewhere then drag the formula down as far as needed. You can then copy the column of concatenated text, Edit > Paste Special and paste as values into column E. Then delete the extraneous columns to the right of E. If you have to do this a lot, you could record a macro.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

No need to scan sketches into your computer with Moleskine's new smart pen

HomePod review

Streaming : Netflix ou Amazon Prime Video ?