ISP disc

stuwat 09:27 08 Jun 2007

Hi

Setting up a wireless network (I currently have 1 pc connected via a standard modem).
For the 2 pc's I am adding to the wireless network -
do I have to run the disc my ISP provided on them as well ?
do they need to be online when running the disc ?
can I install my new wireless router first ?

Thanks for any help.

Ashrich 20:54 08 Jun 2007

Just set up the router on your chosen PC , via Ethernet , then , when the wireless router is up and running , and connected to the internet you can go about adding the two other PC's . With each of the others , just scan for your wireless router , when found , highlight it and click on " connect " , no need to use your ISP disc , if you opt to use it you'll only need it for the first PC . If you want to have all the PC's talking to each other you will need to run the Network Wizard on each , giving them all original names and making sure that they are all in the same workgroup ( Microsoft defaults to MSHOME ) .

Ashley

stuwat 08:00 11 Jun 2007

Thanks Ashley. I have wireless up and running now, tonight I will try to network them.
Thanks again.

Strawballs 13:52 11 Jun 2007

Have you setup security?

stuwat 14:04 11 Jun 2007

Good Afternoon.
Not yet as I ran out of time yesterday.
Any tips / a guide will be gratefully received as it will save me a lot of time.
:-)
Cheers.

stuwat 14:53 11 Jun 2007

Just to let you know where I got to so you know where I am up to
enabled WEP on router with key 1 entered (64 bit)

set WEP on the other 2 wireless pcs entering same key 1 (only done 1 so far, other tonight)

my next plan is to configure the access control list with the mac address of each of the 3 pc's.

That's all I have planned for, do you think it's enough ?

Currently have Macafee running too.

Any other tips would be top.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?