ISDN Surge Protection

Heckmotor 17:20 03 Nov 2003

Living in a rural area frequently blacked out by power cuts, and wary of lightning strikes, I recently invested in a Belkin surge protector. Unfortunately, like thousands of country-dwellers who are unlikely to get proper broadband in their lifetime, we've got BT Home Highway ISDN. One pc is connected via a USB cable and one by a phone socket which is not like a standard item. Neither can be routed through the surge protector.

As I've been thinking of wirelessly networking our machines, shortly to be joined by a third laptop with a 802.11 a, b, and g card, can anyone tell me what I need to cost-effectively achieve a neat, fast wi-fi network solution and surge protection?

recap 17:32 03 Nov 2003

You can purchase Belkin surge protectors with phone socket connection.

click here for your wireless needs.

Heckmotor 17:58 03 Nov 2003

I know, recap. My Belkin device has one phone input and two out, so it also acts as a splitter, but my point is that the phone plugs from a Home Highway box are not the same type and, in addition, one of the two output leads is USB. I'm not aware of a surge protector that can handle either of these.

recap 18:01 03 Nov 2003

Sorry Heckmotor, misinterpritation on my part.

john-232317 19:46 03 Nov 2003

I thought surge protectors were for the electrikery only ?

graham√ 20:10 03 Nov 2003

Here's one at random click here

john-232317 20:30 03 Nov 2003

Wow those prices...i got a German made 6 way unit for 3 euros in Spain, 59.99 squid on the list.ouch.

Heckmotor 18:29 04 Nov 2003

Many thanks, Graham, and well done for being the only respondent to grasp what I needed! Your supplier is out of stock, but I've just ordered Dabs' last one!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Comment nettoyer Windows et optimiser son PC gratuitement ?