iPad 9.7" won't charge with any other USB source

stlucia2 12:01 25 Apr 2018

I've recently bought the latest model 9.7" iPad. It comes with a UK wall-wart charger which, according to its label, is rated at 10 watts.

Because I travel abroad regularly I would like to use one of my other wall-warts, also 10W rated, which have US or continental 2-pin plugs on them, and to use my 12W rated power bank if I run out during the day. But none of these work with my iPad. I'm using Apple's own lead, which has a non-standard plug on the iPad end and a standard USB plug on the charger end, but my iPad reports 'Not charging' (so it knows it's connected to power) whenever I use any USB source other than the Apple charger.

I've spoken to Apple support today and they say 'it should work', but advise that I check my non-Apple chargers with other Apple products to see if that would rule out anything. Trouble is, I don't have any other Apple products, and don't know anyone who has!

Any suggestions what else I could try, before I take the iPad back to where I bought it?

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What to do if you're affected by the Intel Foreshadow flaw

Illustrator Rose Blake gives a kid-friendly update for David Hockney's art guide A History of…

iMac at 20: 10 iMac facts and history in pictures

Comment afficher des sous-titres sur Netflix ?