Is an IP address specific to each PC or the home?

bturner 08:52 18 Nov 2015

I bought an item via my laptop from a shopping channel and now every time I go back to that website it greets me by my name even though I am not logged in.

I have deleted my temporary internet files and browsing history and cookies but it still shows my name on the website, I assume this is because it recognises my IP address, is that correct?

I just tried using my desktop and it does not show my name on the website. I thought an IP address would be the same for the laptop and desktop as I am using the same BT homehub.

Secret-Squirrel 09:45 18 Nov 2015

Is an IP address specific to each PC or the home?

There are two types of IP address - public and private. Your public one is used by the router to connect to the Internet. Each device that's connected to your router has a different private address.

I have deleted my temporary internet files and browsing history and cookies but it still shows my name on the website,............

Either you haven't deleted your temporary Internet files and cookies properly, or you're using a favourite/bookmark to access that site and its URL contains a unique identifier.

bturner 15:28 18 Nov 2015

Thanks for explaining about the 2 different types if IP address.

I use ATF cleaner to delete my files, I click "Select all" "empty selected".

I have restarted the laptop but still see my name when opening the website from a Google search, not from my favourites.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:33 18 Nov 2015

Try CCleaner

bturner 19:03 18 Nov 2015

I could try CCleaner, I seem to remember using that a few years ago and it caused a few problems so I have not used it since.

Yes bjh, using another browser works but I still want get rid of the details when using IE.

Support replied "I request you to log off from your Ideal World account before you delete the browsing history and cookies. Alternatively, you could go to Advanced tab in Internet options. In Advanced tab, select Reset tab and tick on box to delete personal settings and click on reset option. This will reset all settings and then you can close browser and open again and continue without you being logged in."

As I said before, I was not logged in anyway.

When I go to Internet options, Advanced tab, Reset, there is no delete personal settings box so I cannot do that.

I have just changed the name, address etc on the site.

wee eddie 20:52 18 Nov 2015

I guess that the process of buying product, effectively, logged you in.

wee eddie 21:10 18 Nov 2015

p.s. I thought that every pieces of equipment, connected to the Internet, had it's own IP Address

Secret-Squirrel 08:35 19 Nov 2015

p.s. I thought that every pieces of equipment, connected to the Internet, had it's own IP Address

Every device (tablet, computer, phone, etc) that's connected to the router has its own private IP address. The router has a unique public IP address and that's the address that websites see. Hopefully this'll explain things better than I can.

wee eddie 16:25 19 Nov 2015

So, does "The Internet of Things" not exist unless you have a Router for it to connect through?

What a swizz, I really thought that it was something unique

Secret-Squirrel 18:15 19 Nov 2015

So, does "The Internet of Things" not exist unless you have a Router for it to connect through?

What a swizz, I really thought that it was something unique

Sorry Ed but I'm not sure what you're on about.

I don't know whether this'll answer your question, but no, you don't need a router to connect to the Internet. For example, if you use an (old-fashioned) Ethernet or USB modem then that'll give the computer a direct connection to the Internet using a public IP address.

bturner 09:35 20 Nov 2015

After reading this click here decided to take fruitbats suggestion and use CCleaner. That worked. Thank-you.

On another note, this website is the only one that is extremely slow, it freezes. No other websites do that on my laptop.

I

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Pokémon Let's Go, Pikachu! and Eevee! review

Best Black Friday deals for designers and artists 2018

How to use Siri Shortcuts

Les meilleurs SSD