"Invisible" Non-System Disk!!

onokeck 21:04 12 Aug 2005

We have all seen the old warning when we boot up with a floppy inserted that we forgot about: "Non-System Disk - Replace Disk and Press any Key"

Well, I'm getting this notice on my old Win 95 PC when in fact there is NO floppy in the drive - nor is there a CD in the CDROM. I have checked my setup and all is as it should be; the floppy drive seems to work and I have checked all the connections internally. All o.k. I even dis connected the floppy drive and changed 1st boot device to CDROM. Still get the same message. Anyone got any ideas about this invisible disk?
Casey

mattyc_92 21:25 12 Aug 2005

I got this when the os was corrupt. Have you got the installation disk? You may need it.

onokeck 21:29 12 Aug 2005

Yes, I do have the recovery floppy and CD. This is where the problem began - when I tried to reinstall the OS, so you are probably right. I'll start over again and see if I can correct the proble. Thanks for your comments. Casey

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:55 12 Aug 2005

System files missing from hard drive.

Insert and boot from win 95 floppy at the a:\ prompt type

sys c:

you should then see a message system files copied.

This will get rid of the message.

petescully 23:58 12 Aug 2005

Bare in mind - If you sys c: - c: will then load up only to a dos prompt - not windows.

You'll need to alter the msdos.sys file to make it boot to windows - presuming windows files are all still working and aren't corrupt or missing.

You may need to re-install windows - boot disk, windows CD - follow the instructions.

To edit the msdos.sys from dos after 'sys c:' you should, restart the computer and boot with the boot disk:

Find the and attrib and edit programs (probably a:\edit.com and a:\attrib.exe), then type the following:

attrib c:\msdos.sys -r -s -h
edit c:\msdos.sys

The Edit program then opens up, check and match the details below - There may be other commands and characters in here - but leave these, ensure these settings are in there though. Then save it and reboot without the boot disk inserted.

Good luck.

[Paths]
WinDir=C:\WINDOWS
WinBootDir=C:\WINDOWS
HostWinBootDrv=C

[Options]
BootMulti=1
BootGUI=1

petescully 00:05 13 Aug 2005

The automation on this forum makes it difficult to explain the commands - it removes the line breaks. Where there is a space, there is a line break (a new line). - If you are able to view the msdos.sys, you will see what I mean.

Good luck

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Print designer Kelly Anna on confident mark making & modern femininity

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment créer, utiliser et supprimer son compte Facebook ?