Internet working perfectly on phone, not on laptop

Joel Levene 21:16 19 Oct 2018

Hi, recently I've been having issues with my WiFi connection on my laptop. For periods of any random time, the Internet on my laptop is incredibly slow, such that I can only watch YouTube videos on 144p if I'm lucky. Simultaneously, the connection on my phone is perfectly fine, which indicates that its not to do with the WiFi provider. The WiFi connectivity bars on my laptop, display at full even when this happens, it's quite a new laptop aswell. Could anyone suggest any solutions?

1. List item
  difarn 21:37 19 Oct 2018

Check to see if ipv6 connectivity is enabled in wireless network connection status. If so disable it and see if it improves. You should be able to do this by right-clicking the wifi symbol bottom right of your task bar, open network and sharing centre, click wifi name next to your connection. If ipv6 is enabled click on properties and disable it.

Govan1x 21:38 19 Oct 2018

Depends how old your laptop is and whether setting the router to 2.4 ghz and disable the 5ghz connection might give you a better signal.

I don't think that will be your problem but maybe worth a try.

What speeds are you supposed to get from your ISP.

alanrwood 10:15 20 Oct 2018

Any interference source in the vicinity ie Micrwave oven etc

MJS WARLORD 12:41 20 Oct 2018

is your laptop locked to your hub with the supplied keycode NOT the password , somebody could be highjacking your hub/modem. put your browser on half screen setting and bring up the task manager at the side of it , when your laptop suddenly runs slow you might see something extra appear in the running apps list at the top , you could have something running in the background that you don't know about. check add/remove and browsers add in for items you don't recognise.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Red Dead Online release date and gameplay news

Create a glowing superhero

Mac mini 2018 review

Les meilleures prises CPL