Internet time

ened 09:20 28 Apr 2004

Does anybody know how accurate the time.windows.com site is?
I recently posted that I was having problems with my clock and it was suggested I had a dying battery.
However yesterday it was well out and I noticed it had been set by the above site an hour previously.
Since I reset it it has been fine as it was all weekend.
Surely if it was a failing battery it would not be intermittent and the only other influence appears to be the internet clock which I had previously supposed to be accurate.

€dstowe 09:33 28 Apr 2004

Windows.com time is very accurate. If you want the extreme of accuracy, there is an alternative in the dropdown box where you do the time check on XP and that is NIST. com time NIST is National Institute of Science and Technology and they link to worldwide standard time setting.

If you machine is unable to keep accurate tim it is the machine at fault, not the references.

Note that the use of timing in a computer is to give a refernce base on which the circuits operate. Telling you that it's half past nine (or whatever) is incidental to its real function and there is no guarantee (or need) that your computer is at all accurate, it just need to be constant.

€d

€dstowe 09:35 28 Apr 2004

Apologies for the poor typing (above). Here's an improved version:)

Windows.com time is very accurate. If you want the extreme of accuracy, there is an alternative in the dropdown box where you do the time check on XP and that is NIST. com time. NIST is National Institute of Science and Technology and they link to worldwide standard time setting.

If you machine is unable to keep accurate time it is the machine at fault, not the references.

Note that the use of timing in a computer is to give a reference base on which the circuits operate. Telling you that it's half past nine (or whatever) is incidental to its real function and there is no guarantee (or need) that your computer is at all accurate, it just needs to be constant.

€d

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

Iconic New York graphic designer Milton Glaser on his uplifting new subway posters

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment suivre le parcours du père Noël ?