internet speed

Hughbeaver 21:18 28 Sep 2003

I have recently got ntl broadband and have since aquired a problem with speed. I can usually access a page quickly but when I try to scroll down a page the page staggers down very slowly and continues to stagger after I have released the mouse, I have spent many hours on the phone to ntl, I have uninstalled my internet explorer 6 exchanging for 5.5. I have run spybot and free surfer and I have looked for solutions on Microsoft with no success. I am getting very frustrated and would appreciate any help.

Cheers
Hugh

DieSse 21:28 28 Sep 2003

It's a graphics driver or general computer speed problem - not the internet. The page is already in your system when you are scrolling.

What processor/RAM/motherboard do you have.

Hughbeaver 21:34 28 Sep 2003

Thanks for response.
I have a Pentium 2, 128MB ram Intel MMX[TM]

woodchip 21:54 28 Sep 2003

That's the problem, low Mz CPU, slow graphics.

powerless 22:11 28 Sep 2003

Depends on the speed of that PII. What is the speed of it?

Hughbeaver 22:19 28 Sep 2003

How do I find out the speed of the processer

Thanks

VoG II 22:22 28 Sep 2003

Belarc will tell you click here

abc77 22:29 28 Sep 2003

I had a similar problem before, especially when I tried to view the skysport site. I did not have the firewall at the time, I believed that something was installed secretly in my PC. I did uninstall and reinstall IE6 and also used spybot to check but it did not work. At the end, I did a clean installation of Windows 98 and the problem solved.

Hughbeaver 22:30 28 Sep 2003

processor is
450MH
32 KB primary memory and 512 secondary memory.
In the section for win 98 it has 2 items with red crosses next to them and suggests reinstalling them, should I do this.
Thanks

powerless 22:37 28 Sep 2003

Processor speed is fine.

Memeory could be a little better, maybe 256MB. It will probably be SDRAM type which is the cheaper memory.

Two red X's i think there are Windows updates? Just run windows update again.

How many programs do you have running? Press Cntrl - Alt - Del and count what yopu see. Also if you could name them.

The Sack 22:39 28 Sep 2003

128MB of RAM is loads with W98

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How to watch the World Cup for free on TV and online

Best of the Grad Shows 2018: Middlesex University art, illustration and graphic design

Best Mac tips, tricks and timesavers

Comment identifier le modèle de son iPad ?