Internet Slowdown

Pesala 11:57 30 Jun 2004

Is it just me, or is everyone having problems today.
Every site seems to be running at half speed or worse. Many "Server unavailable" messages. Even pinging the BBC I get "request timed out" sometimes. NTL speed test is slow, but not significantly slower than it has been these last few weeks. Downloading is running at about 15/16 Kb/secs, which is only just below par.

Diodorus Siculus 12:17 30 Jun 2004

Nothing amiss here in London SE.

shizzy 16:32 30 Jun 2004

On dialup with Tesco who I think are with NTL and yes getting "timed out" on some sites including BBC news page. Could not acess it despite several tries. Am using Mozilla.

Pesala 23:56 30 Jun 2004

Any diagnostics test I can do to see where the problem lies. I found I can open links by clicking two or three times in succession with a few seconds' interval.

It seems to be just as much a problem in Internet Explorer as in Opera. According to this tweak test click here my connection is "looking good." It doesn't look good to me. :(

woodchip 00:04 01 Jul 2004

No problems hear on Dial-up zooming along

woodt 00:08 01 Jul 2004

I have noticed pages taking longer to download especially this forum. Have just installed XP SP2 and was wondering if this had something to do with it, but if other peope have experienced the same maybe not.

colorado kid 00:10 01 Jul 2004

snap with woodchip, although have just started using "onspeed" and can't really see any difference!

AL D. 00:53 01 Jul 2004

Try this, go to start/run.type regedit. then select in this order HKEY_Local_Machine\software\microsoft\windows\current version\explorer\remote computer\name_space. then remove/delete this entry {D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}
back up your registry first, then reboot and you should see a marked internet browser speed improvement.

Lozzy 00:57 01 Jul 2004

Good advice from AL.D

Pesala 10:29 01 Jul 2004

especially if you haven't a clue what they do or why they are there. Is this relevant to other browsers for example?

Pesala 10:30 01 Jul 2004

especially if you haven't a clue what they do or why they are there. Is this relevant to other browsers for example?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

How Sketch and InVision have revolutionised our design workflow

The best tech gifts for Christmas 2017

Les meilleurs jeux de société (2017)