Internet on laptop help

Shutt1e 16:30 27 Jun 2006

i am having trouble getting internet on my laptop using a ethernet port to my desktop, i dont no what settings to set can anyone help me
thx

mgmcc 17:22 27 Jun 2006

Connect the two computers directly with a *CROSSOVER* CAT5 ethernet cable. “Internet Connection Sharing” is then enabled on the actual Internet connection in the “host” PC and the “client” PC will have Internet access provided the “host” is running and online.

To enable “Internet Connection Sharing” in Windows XP, open the Network Connections folder, right click the actual internet connection (modem connection), select Properties and then the Advanced tab. Tick the box “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection”.

When you enable "Internet Connection Sharing" on the Internet connection, it automatically configures the network adapter used for your "private network connection" with the IP address 192.168.0.1 and subnet mask 255.255.255.0. If you have more than one adapter available for this purpose, e.g. both a "Local Area Connection" and a "Wireless Network Connection", you will have a drop down list from which to select the appropriate adapter. The "Client" PC's Local Area Connection should be set to get its IP address automatically, which it does by DHCP from the "Host" PC. Also, if you run the Zone Alarm firewall in your "Host" PC, the Internet Zone Security level must be reduced from High to Medium or "ICS" traffic will be blocked.

This connection will additionally allow you to run File and/or Printer Sharing across the network.

If you are running any software firewalls, these need to be configured to allow access to the networked computers. This may involve adding their IP addresses in a "trusted" area.

Shutt1e 17:47 27 Jun 2006

i have done whta you said and still doesnt work

mgmcc 23:09 27 Jun 2006

In the "host" PC, open a Command Prompt window and run the command IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the Command Prompt window and "Select All", then press Enter to copy to the clipboard. Paste the contents into a reply here.

Taff™ 06:42 29 Jun 2006

Found the thread - you`re in good hands! Post back the results as mgmcc suggests.

Shutt1e 07:28 29 Jun 2006

whne i type in what you said it opeds the window and then closes

mgmcc 08:33 29 Jun 2006

If you type the command IPCONFIG /ALL directly into the "Run" box, it will briefly appear on screen and then disappear. You must open a Command Prompt window first.

Go to "Start > Run", type CMD and click OK. This opens the Command Prompt window and then you can type in IPCONFIG /ALL

Shutt1e 16:10 29 Jun 2006

This is what i found hope its some help

wINDOWS IP CONFIGURATION
HOST NAME:SPOONER
PRIMARY Dns SUFFIX:
NODE TYPE:HYBIRD
IP ROUTING ENABLED:YES
WINS PROXY ENABLED:NO

ETHERNET ADAPTER LOCAL AREA CONNECTION
MEDIA STATE:MEDIA DISCONNECTED
DESCRIPTION:INTEL(R)PRO/100 VE NETWORK CONNECTION
PHYSICAL ADDRESS:00-07-E9-E0-87-58

ADAPTER SPEEDTOUCH CONNECTION:

cONNECTION-SPECIFIC DNS SUFFIX :
DESCRIPTION:WAN(PPP/SLIP) INTERFACE
pHYSICAL ADDRESS:00-53-45-00-00-00
DHCP ENABLED:NO
IP ADDRESS:84.66.86.191
SUBNET MASK: 255.255.255.255
DEFAULT GATEWAY:84.66.86.191
DNS SERVERS:195.92.195.95

mgmcc 16:28 29 Jun 2006

Your "Local Area Connection", which should be connecting to the "client" PC, is showing "Media Disconnected". Either the cable is unplugged or the "client" PC isn't running or you are using a "straight-wired" network cable instead of a "crossover" one.

Shutt1e 16:35 29 Jun 2006

the cable im using is hte on i use to connec tmy xbox 360 to the internet is this the wrong one or what the difference in looks between cross over and straight through
thx

Shutt1e 16:38 29 Jun 2006

sorry for the bad spelling
the cable i use is the one i use to connect my xbox 360 to xbox live is this the right one if not how do u tell the difference btween a cross over and a staight through cable
thx

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Print designer Kelly Anna on confident mark making & modern femininity

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment créer, utiliser et supprimer son compte Facebook ?