Internet via laptop

Madrat 15:33 09 Aug 2004

Hi
I am about to get my first laptop probably used.

I use a router with eartnet and usb conecters on my 2 desktop pcs for internet use. is ther somthing I can plug into this and into the laptop so I can acces thi net wireless?

Also when Im away from home can I conect my mobile to the laptop for internet use I use the vodaphone network. I know vodephone do a thingy just for this but I will only be uusing it for emails and a few other small aplications so there mothly service price is a bit high realy I need a pay as you go service.

Also what conectors/slots should I look for on a laptop if I do go for a used modle

Any help much appreshiated.

Ian.

TomJerry 16:19 09 Aug 2004

Use Internet at home

You need one wireless access point (AP)/router which connect to your existing router, this AP is kind of base station. One suggestion for you Linksys BEFW11S4 11Mbps Wireless Broadband Router £37.82 click here

If your laptop has wireless capability build in, you do not need anything else. Otherwise, you need one wireless adaptor for your laptop. One suggestion for you here: Linksys WPC11 11Mbps Wireless PC Card £22.41 click here

To use Internet on move. (1) 3G solution, BB connection but too expensive vodaphone's offers click here
ne+Portal%2FOnline+Store%[email protected]@@@0759507026.1092004
[email protected]@@@&BV_EngineID=ccddadcmeldiekfcflgcegjdgnfdffm.0 (2) For light use, get a phone with build-in modem, some old Nokia phones will be fine. If your laptop has Infrared connection, get a mobile with Infrared connection, otherwise you need to use datalink cable to connect mobile phone with laptop.

end 18:52 09 Aug 2004

may I ask, what does the infrared on a lap-top enable you to do with the lap-top???( "simple" language please!!)

TomJerry 19:12 09 Aug 2004

both have infrared communication ports

end 19:36 09 Aug 2004

so that "scuppers" my idea of a lap-top that can access the web "anywhere"..!that is what I would like but..??cost prohibitive (?)(sorry fiatman..just "tiptoeing")..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Indie publisher Canongate’s top 10 book covers of 2017

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Tablettes Amazon Fire : quel modèle choisir ?