Internet Explorer and XP

dolphinaber 21:02 12 Mar 2003

Just cannot get Internet Explorer to open in my new XP Computer Get in alright but when I try and click on something I get a page come up which says `The page cannot be displayed` and also in the top left hand corner it says `Cannot find server` I am with AOL. Can anybody help please ?

User-312386 21:23 12 Mar 2003

are you with a dial up package or broadband?

dolphinaber 21:29 12 Mar 2003

Definately not broadband Madboy !

User-312386 22:22 13 Mar 2003

come on folks with a dial up

give this person a hand

dolphinaber 08:03 14 Mar 2003

Thanks `Madboy` Appreciate your thoughts. Cant think of a better place to post a message or can you advice me of another site I might try !!!!!

User-312386 08:21 14 Mar 2003

what about your security settings?

Are they to high?

powerless 08:22 14 Mar 2003

In IE > Tools > Internet Options... > Connections > Make sure the AOL connection is the default so IE will know to go through AOL.

I'm not sure wheather AOL uses a proxy server. You'll have to check that yourself.

So in IE > Tools > Internet options... > Connections > Clcik on "Settings". Under "Proxy Settings" > Remove the tick and click on "OK" Now retry. Also if there is not tick, put one in, then retry.

You could also go to Start > Run > Type:

cmd /k ping click here

If you get results back then its something within your IE connections/settings thats stopping IE from displaying the page.

It could be a damaged IE and/or other related files...

Put your Windows XP in the Cd Drive. Then go Start > RUN > Type:

SFC /SCANNOW

clcick "ok" and give it a few minutes.

Restart and retry your connection and cross your fingers ;-)

powerless 08:25 14 Mar 2003

cmd /k ping www. pcadvisor .co.uk

Remove the spaces after www. and before .co

dolphinaber 18:54 14 Mar 2003

Thanks both I have just typed a reply with my `one` finger and lost it. Please treat me as a beginner.I can get IE on screen with history on the left.If I click on say PCAdvisor in history AOL connects and up comes my home page then when I sign off I find that IE still there and showing PCAdvisor but not on line. If I say click on Cameras in PCadvisor then AOL connects again and when I sign off sure enough Cameras are on the PCAdvisor site.
Yes I tried the cmd / and a screen came up with a lot of sentences on it but a bit meaningless to me !!!
When I go into Proxy settings it does not seem to make any difference clicked or not.
Thanks for any help. Both `fingers` crossed :-(

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Print designer Kelly Anna on confident mark making & modern femininity

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment créer, utiliser et supprimer son compte Facebook ?