Internet Explorer - 'Cannot find server'

Graham ® 14:40 05 May 2006

Is what I get every time I start IE (Ver.6). I press F5 and then get the home page. I've tried various home pages.

I wonder if there is a setting to allow more time to connect, as it seems the message appears pretty quickly.

Eric half-a-bee 15:36 05 May 2006

A couple of thoughts - Tools/Internet Options - Programs and Advanced both have restore default options - or - are you using a pop-up blocker? If so try a different one (i.e. MS vs. Google toolbar).

Gongoozler 17:36 05 May 2006

A possibility. Tools - Internet Options - Connections - Settings - Advanced. Mine says try to connect 10 times. If yours only tries the once and then gives up, it would show an error message.

skidzy 17:48 05 May 2006

Is it possible that your firewall is stopping access to the internet ?

You could always try this click here and download the registry optimiser version,this is not just a registry tool ..under advanced it has an option to repair internet explorer,this may be worth a try.

Its an unlimited trial version,so you can scan and repair as many times as you like.

Good luck

Graham ® 18:13 05 May 2006

Hopefully on the right track. Mine said wait 5 seconds between attempts, I've changed it to 10 seconds. See how it goes.

Graham ® 19:06 06 May 2006

Not the firewall. Tried the Winso program, no joy there either.

wobblymike 19:08 06 May 2006

can we have a bit more info

Are you on BB or dial up

If BB ethernet or USB

Graham ® 19:11 06 May 2006

Broadband/USB

wobblymike 19:13 06 May 2006

Go to Control Panel - Internet options - click the connections tag and maje sure you have Always dial my default connection selected and your USB modem selected as your default device.

Graham ® 19:20 06 May 2006

Thanks, it's all set up correctly, it's just that when I first start IE it connects to the distant computer, then 'connecting to BBC' or whatever, then times out after about 10 seconds to give 'Page cannot be found'.

I can then Refresh to get the home page.

It sometimes connects first time, but not often.

wobblymike 19:21 06 May 2006

ok understood who is your isp?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

See iconic duo Smith and Foulkes' epic animation for the BBC's Winter Olympics coverage

iMac Pro review

Idées cadeaux pour geeks et tech addicts