Internet connection sharing

  Billy911 10:26 03 Mar 2006

I have a desktop running W2K Pro and a laptop running Win XP Home. I've signed up for ADSL broadband with Tiscali and would like to know what cable(s) to use to connect my laptop to my desktop to enable ICS with the desktop being the 'main' Internet connection point. I'm assuming the ADSL router (when it arrives) will connect to a USB port, it's just the rest I'm not sure of.

  wobblymike 11:10 03 Mar 2006

have you considered doing it wirelessly? If you're interested post back and I'll describe what you have to do - it's how I have my system set up and it's brilliant.

  smy13 11:56 03 Mar 2006

Got to agree with wobblymike his suggestion will give you so much more freedom

  Billy911 12:12 03 Mar 2006

Thanks wobblymike & smy13. I am interested in connecting wirelessly except for 2 things; security and cost. If it can be made secure and doesn't cost too much then yes. Thanks again.

  smy13 15:28 03 Mar 2006

you can pick up a decent wireless G Modem/router for around £50 in far as security goes as long as you follow the instruction regarding enabling the encryption protocols I'd say its quite safe. The best standard i believe is called WPA. Don't just go to the big boys (comet, PC World) I picked up my modem/router for £35.00 from my local privately owned PC shop (it's not the sexist modem/router on the market but it does the job), best of all the guy gave me some great advice about setting it up. Again if you decide to go cable look locally I picked up 30m of RJ45 cable for £4.50 PC world wanted £30 for 20m

  Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:34 03 Mar 2006

You can do it without a router click here

  smy13 16:10 03 Mar 2006

interesting solution Fruit Bat /\0/\. not seen that one before

  wobblymike 12:23 04 Mar 2006

Billy 911 - before you go wireless you need to answer one simple question - do you want your slave pc to be able to access the net independantly of the master PC? If no then Fruit Bat /\0/\ link is the way to go I have fitted this set up on a number of ocassions normally when parents want to control their kids access to the net.
If yes then you will need a wireless modem/router (I use BT Voyager 2091 and its fine)and a wireless pci expansion card (d-link is fine but thereare loads). Both the modem and router you can get on e bay without too much expense. Connect the router to your master PC via an ethernet cable, set it up iaw the instructions (dead easy) and you're on the net. Set up the security side of it iaw the instructions using a password (again dead easy).
Fit the pci expansion card to the slave pc, set up the security using the same password and thats it. You then have a secure wireless system. If you need more post back.

  Billy911 10:03 06 Mar 2006

Thanks guys for the advice and to answer your question wobblymike, no I don't want my laptop (the slave) to access the net independently.

  wobblymike 18:24 06 Mar 2006

ok you can still do it wirelessly however you will have to fit an expansion card to your desktop and connect that to the modem in the normal way - under that configuration your laptop can access the net via your connection but only when your desktop is powered up and connected.

  Billy911 14:23 13 Mar 2006

thanks for that wobblymike.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

25 book design and illustration tips

iMac Pro review

Idées cadeaux pour geeks et tech addicts